Thread: can someone please tell me what newsgroups are about

nickw1988's Avatar FST Xtreme User BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    can someone please tell me what newsgroups are about what they contain and how i use it.

thanks

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    vat0r's Avatar .:.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroup

Usually you get files a few days/weeks sooner then say rapidshare. The downside is that files dont hang around as long so you gotta get em while theyre fresh. As for the kind of files... basically whatever you want.

If you're interested id reccomend getting an account somewhere like newsdemon and just mess with it abit.
    Last edited by vat0r; 12-26-2006 at 06:17 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    DISABLED PRIVS
    check the nzb index sub-forum and you'll get a general idea of whats on it

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    DISABLED PRIVS

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by vat0r View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroup

Usually you get files a few days/weeks sooner then say rapidshare. The downside is that files dont hang around as long so you gotta get em while theyre fresh. As for the kind of files... basically whatever you want.

If you're interested id reccomend getting an account somewhere like newsdemon and just mess with it abit.

that depends on the newsserver you are using most of them have a retention (how long they keep al the files) from 75 to over 100 days so that pretty long, even if it aint on there anymore there are a lot of reqeust forums around.. ask for a re-up and it will be there in just a few hours

5. Newsgroups   -   #5

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I've been thinking about getting involved with newsgroups, I've had an album that I uploaded to one tracker, get sent through usenet and then end up on another tracker. What's the benefits of using news groups?

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by slatetupelo View Post
    I've been thinking about getting involved with newsgroups, I've had an album that I uploaded to one tracker, get sent through usenet and then end up on another tracker. What's the benefits of using news groups?
    The main benefits imho are: that you don't have to upload anything back..no ratios to worry about, so happy days on that front.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Seevers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by slatetupelo View Post
    The main benefits imho are: that you don't have to upload anything back..no ratios to worry about, so happy days on that front.

Not to mention the speeds are unmatched. You're limited to the bandwidth your ISP gives you, not the upload bandwidth the other users ISP gives them. You'll also see PAR's used within newgroups more then you will anywhere else. PAR or Parchive is a error correction system. Basically, if your file is corrupt when you finish downloading, you can fix it with the PARs. That means, no more incomplete/corrupt downloads.