Thread: Graphics card driver problems

SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I've recently started my main P.C after a few months of it not being on.

It worked o.k until the graphics card (an old Geforce 4 MX 460 card) was utilised (graphics card being used just means a program was opened that you appeared to use some kind of graphics feature that was more advanced then the stuff being used to display the desktop such as a web browser or game) at which point it displayed a blue screen error relating to nav4_disp.

This seemed to indicated that my graphics card drivers needed updating so I did so using the latest drivers from the manufacturers website.

The update causes a Blue Screen at boot up if I start the machine normally. I also attempted a slightly older driver which came up when searching for the driver and this allowed booting into Windows however the machine appeared to crash (no blue screen it just seizes up and the monitor shuts off as if the computer has been switched off or restarted) if the graphics card were used. In the latter case I could use the computer o.k if I set the hardware acceleration to 'none'.

In all cases I can boot into safe mode which allows me to fiddle with the drivers.

My question would be what is wrong with the machine and how do I fix it. The blue screen after a driver update is less descriptive than the orginal nav4_disp one. Again it hints at some kind of driver problem but doesn't specify which driver.

Is there a specific driver I should attempt to update along with the graphics card driver (say sound card or ...?). Would the manufacturer provide any help via email or do I need to track down this problem manually.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    try this drivers http://www.ngohq.com

good lock

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    C[a]N's Avatar ArchWayisHardWay BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745
    download this and read docs.clean nvidia drivers and install latest one.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    It sounds like there may be a driver corruption and or conflict issue going on due to not correctly uninstalling the previous drivers. What id recommend is uninstalling the videocard drivers the download and install this Driver Cleaner Pro and boot up into safemode, run drivercleaner and check the "select multiple filters" box and for the filters choose "nVidia WDM" & "nVidia" then click on start and let it do its thing. Once thats done boot up again normally and re-install the drivers.

e/ ferdcasx, you beat me to it

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    C[a]N's Avatar ArchWayisHardWay BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    e/ ferdcasx, you beat me to it
    ur reply is detailed,mine is not.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Can't reinstall the driver after an uninstall and clean up with the tool (perhaps I shouldn't have done a total uninstall ).

The driver blue screens with an error about nv4_mini.sys (a nvidia driver).

An attempt to sort it via the auto Windows wizard (add new hardware) sees a similar problem. It doesn't blue screen just says that nv4_mini.sys is missing from the 'windows driver cabinet'. I think there are more files missing as futher errors were displayed after I managed to get through the error whilst using the windows wizard.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    try this:
    insert xp cd in your cd or dvd drive and type sfc /scannow in start>run.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut

Urgent

Quote Originally Posted by SeK612 View Post
    It worked o.k until the graphics card (an old Geforce 4 MX 460 card) was utilised...at which point it displayed a blue screen error relating to nav4_disp.
    Dude, some people disagree with me on this, but I'm going to say it anyways as I have had a similar problem such as this.

***Always use the original drivers that came from the video manufacturer.***

Go to Safe Mode-->Uninstall any video drivers (don't overwrite)-->Restart-->Install original.

See if that works, but I have always heard its best to stick to the original drivers that come with your video card. Bugs? Refer the the manufacturer's website for any bug fixes (Most, never have any).

If you disagree with this. Fine. This is what I've heard and this is what I have experienced between running an nVidia GeForce 4 MX 420 and a nVidia 6600GT.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    It's a good idea to run that driver cleaner after uninstalling an videocard related driver to clean its remnants.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    also, while u should be using driver cleaner pro (as i do) and after u've cleaned out ur nvidia spamware click the tab @ the top of the prog that says tools and clean ur cabs while ur @ it!
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503