Thread: Condsidering This Barebones System...

Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    I'm thinking about buying this and I'd like some expert opinions...

http://www.pcdirect.com/product.asp?Sku=BB...P42400MID256DDR

For 300 bucks, it sounds like a pretty good deal to me. It has onboard video, audio, and ethernet, so all I'd have to do is install my current hard drive, CD-RW, and monitor, right? Then maybe later I'll buy an AGP video card and a CNR sound card. Does anyone see anything wrong with it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Seems like a damn good deal! Only thing is the processor only has a 90 day warranty, but thats not too much of a worry.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I was in your postion once and considered buyin a barebone system.But i found out you save a few bucks by building your own.Another reason is by building your own you can choose the make of say your hardrive(i now u hav 1 but just as an example&#33U could have say an IBM Deskstar but with the barebone it could be a CLONE(company who makes the same as the ibm but hasnt got the full potenial as the ibm)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I'd check the upgrade potential of the mobo as far as an AGP video card and a CNR sound card. Then ask myself how long I want it to last me. I mean keep it. Looks OK. B)Edit: Make sure you don't get raped by s&h, taxes etc.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by zapjb@18 May 2003 - 04:52
    I'd check the upgrade potential of the mobo as far as  an AGP video card and a CNR sound card.
    I just learned that lesson with my current computer. It has an AGP slot, so I always thought I could upgrade to any video card I wanted. Then I found out it's only AGP revision 1, and all the newest cards require revision 2.

But this system is rev. 2.1, so it should be OK for a while (even though they're up to 2.2 already). I'm not sure about the USB ports, though. The main page says they're 1.1, but this page says 2.0.

Also, at the bottom (of the specs page) it says it requires Win98 SE. I only have first edition 98. What possible difference could that make? If it doesn't work, I'll just upgrade to XP.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Although the price is attractive, I would definaltely not but any computer until the end of this month. If you are buying ANYTHING Intel, the prices, for one, are going to drop drastically, because Intel is relasing Hyperthreading technology in chips from 2.4 GHz and up, and add to that a 800MHz system bus, thus the prices on all other chips and slower buslines will drop consequently.

"Pentium 4 3.20GHz to bring massive Intel desktop attack---Watch what you're buying this quarter"

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9317

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Another thing I was wondering about is the RAM. It says it has two DDR and two SDRAM slots. Can you use both kinds at the same time, or do you have to choose one or the other?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    One or the other.