• Yes

19 44.19%
  • No

24 55.81%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Thread: The Death Sentance

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post
    Here's my moral argument against the death penalty - Killing people is wrong.
    I agree but change it to killing innocent people is wrong. As I said before I don't believe in the afterlife, that and as there is no god there is no judgment being made upon the murderer by him.
    So given that (from my stance) if you take the one life the innocent person has then you don't deserve your one life.

Here's my Christian argument against the death penalty - Thou shalt not kill.
    Which is why I respect that view on consistency, Jesus stopped an execution saying "let he who is without sin....." I just don't see how Christianity and the death penalty go together.
    It's possible to go with the eye for an eye part if you are not Christian, but IMO Jesus was rebelling against the old testament slightly

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #132
    BANNED BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    it doesn't matter how big a pile of junk you can be, you can always change, and people do change when they have the chance to do it

3. The Drawing Room   -   #133
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    I agree but change it to killing innocent people is wrong. As I said before I don't believe in the afterlife, that and as there is no god there is no judgment being made upon the murderer by him.
    So given that (from my stance) if you take the one life the innocent person has then you don't deserve your one life.

Here's my Christian argument against the death penalty - Thou shalt not kill.
    Which is why I respect that view on consistency, Jesus stopped an execution saying "let he who is without sin....." I just don't see how Christianity and the death penalty go together.
    It's possible to go with the eye for an eye part if you are not Christian, but IMO Jesus was rebelling against the old testament slightly
    Re the Old Testament thing. Christians (at least Catholics) believe that He came from God to not only fulfill scripture but also to bring a new covenant from God. A new deal as it were, to replace the one we had broken earlier.

With regard to Scripture, the ten commandments (old) say Thou shalt not kill. The teachings of Jesus (new) are forgiveness and not taking lives, as you point out. So I agree, the death penalty is not consistant with Christian beliefs.

The "eye for an eye thing" is very much Old Testament and again not consistant with Christ's teachings that we should "turn the other cheek".

I have to say I find the concept of Christians who base their beliefs primarilly on the Old Testament to be a strange one. Why not base Christianity on what Christ taught. That seems like the way to me.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

4. The Drawing Room   -   #134
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Why not base Christianity on what Christ taught. That seems like the way to me.
    I agree wholeheartedly; however, as a human I am less-than perfect, and harbor vengeful thoughts.

I couldn't bear to enter the afterlife with a totally clean slate, you see.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #135
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Why not base Christianity on what Christ taught. That seems like the way to me.
    I agree wholeheartedly; however, as a human I am less-than perfect, and harbor vengeful thoughts.

That's cool, pas de problem. Believe what you believe and follow whatever system of morality you empathise with.

However please don't claim to be a Christian when your beliefs are fundamentally at odds with those of the person you profess to follow.

Christianity is not a fashion statement.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #136
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

That's cool, pas de problem. Believe what you believe and follow whatever system of morality you empathise with.

However please don't claim to be a Christian when your beliefs are fundamentally at odds with those of the person you profess to follow.

Christianity is not a fashion statement.
    Well, then.

Shall we see where that takes us.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #137
    It doesn't take us anywhere new.

Christ is quite clear on the concept of killing other people. It's really not open to debate. At least not from what I have read or been taught.

If you feel that you may be able to quote Him saying something, or teaching something, which supports capital punishment I would be more than happy to read it.

Seriously.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314