Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Update your drivers ?

Hi Guys

I have been using PCs for years and have never updated any drivers.

Is it worth doing - taking note of the risks if they don't work - considering that my system works OK now.

If you do do it do you update them often ?

And which drivers do you update ?

And where do you get the drivers from ?

A public website or each manufacturers web site ?

Takling note that I am not into gaming and only have on board video at this stage.

regards

Digby

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    If everything is working for you then just leave it the way it is.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Same here, don't bother unless you have problems--such as your burner won't burn certain media...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    I wouldn't update them unless you need to. I did my video drivers and it messed up my computer and needed to do a system restore.

/me shudders at the memory

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    If it ain't broke then don't fix it. Sometimes changing drivers can cause problems. If stuff is already working good then just leave it be.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by killuminati96 View Post
    If it ain't broke then don't fix it. Sometimes changing drivers can cause problems. If stuff is already working good then just leave it be.
    Amen to that.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by backlash View Post
    I wouldn't update them unless you need to. I did my video drivers and it messed up my computer and needed to do a system restore.

/me shudders at the memory
    QFT!!

Heh, I think we've all been there!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    i ALWAYS update ALL drivers to it's newest. lol, everyone of them. i run benches and games and progs afterward to see if there are bugs or maybe if they run my hardware better. ie: when the newest version of klmcp cumz out it features updated codecs and what not. why not get those updated versions and maybe bugs u don't even know about are squashed and maybe the videos u love so much may work better. same goes for drivers. only thing i don't updated are say drivers that don't feature updates for "my" hardware. for instance: the new 8800gtx vid crd drivers. well, i could install those, but the only feature they have are support for said card and not mine. so, why do it. always read the changelog.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I always do too Mr Nails , there may may be a reason for them updates . I don't do the Bios updates as I can't roll back like you can with drivers .

I always check my mobo for lan or sound updates . Video I tend to leave well enough alone as that can be a real pain . Ati seems a little behind but did update after a year to Radeon 12/15/2006 as I had a problem with a game , which solved it . I think I'm just anal ?

Here's a scenario I buy a new monitor no drivers provided ,seems fine under the win xp drivers but lo and behold I go to the mfg . web site and get the newest ones . Now I can change colour profiles and refresh rate ! :

Don't let the Win Xp "drivers not certified " wizard scare you off either , what a bunch of crap

Don't use Winupdates to check for hardware drivers either as they may replace with older ones , rule of thumb is D/L a newer driver save to disk . Then thru Device Manager check update driver for this device if unsure.
    Last edited by peat moss; 01-01-2007 at 08:50 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    spidro's Avatar i'm here BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    i alayws update my drivers that is make games, movies ...... work better
    and that is the point of update drivers
    the most dirvers i always udpate where there is new update is out vga card, sound card ,mobo ,bios

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast