Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Just Got This Message On Kazaa

Just a teensy request to whoever did this. In an earlier message, I mentioned that persistent Chinese IP -- which is still persistent, I might add. Anyhoo, I just checked for PeerGuardian updates, found the mention of the IP, and noticed that someone posted a "comment" there using the OTD handle. While I do appreciate mention of this matter, I'd appreciate it if you'd not make comments in my name (even the short version of OlderThanDirt) -- especially when they may not be accurate. I added the following to the comment:

The last comment, "The network registration and contact info appears to be bogus..and has been reported invalid" was not made by me. However, I did mention the IP in the KLite forum. Only the POC contact info was reported as invalid, not the network registration -- which belongs to ISSTC, State Science & Technology Commission, Computer Center, 15, Fuxinglu, Beijing, China 100038.
    FWIW, here's the info per ARIN.NET:

ARIN.NET Search results for: 168.160.250.191

OrgName: ISTIC, State Science & Technology Commission, China.
    OrgID: ISSTCC
    Address: Computer Center,
    Address: 15, Fuxinglu
    Address: Beijing 100038
    City:
    StateProv:
    PostalCode:

NetRange: 168.160.0.0 - 168.160.255.255
    CIDR: 168.160.0.0/16
    NetName: SSTC-ISTIC
    NetHandle: NET-168-160-0-0-1
    Parent: NET-168-0-0-0-0
    NetType: Direct Assignment
    NameServer: SUN10.STI.AC.CN
    NameServer: NS.IHEP.AC.CN
    Comment: The information for POC handle YL16-ARIN has been reported to
    Comment: be invalid. ARIN has attempted to obtain updated data, but has
    Comment: been unsuccessful. To provide current contact information,
    Comment: please email [email protected].
    RegDate: 1994-05-23
    Updated: 2002-10-07

TechHandle: YL16-ARIN
    TechName: Lian, Yachun
    TechPhone: 86 1 8515544
    TechEmail: [email protected]

One other note. Being in China, you'd think the IP would be listed with APNIC.NET (since it's Asia/Pacific). However, networks in this IP range (168.0.0.0 - 168.255.255.255) were allocated by InterNIC prior to the formation of Regional Internet Registries (RIRs): APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC and RIPE. In short, the registration is an "old" one ... which may explain why the Technical Contact is no longer valid. And, even though the Contact may be invalid, the Contact's home domain (per email address) is not. Below is a screen-shot of their http://www.ihep.ac.cn homepage:

Note that the URL is just "www" with the secondary server name as a suffix. Adding "www" to the primary server name comes up empty in an attempted browse. But, this makes sense because China changed the name of their"State Science & Technology Commission" to the "Ministry of Science & Technology" in 1998 ... and their English homepage is http://www.most.gov.cn/English/. I assume they just changed their server name and not the IP range (and just didn't bother to update the new name/contact info to ARIN.NET).

P.S. BTW, if you visit the Ministry's website, click on "Copy Right Law" in the left column. Interesting rules ... especially Article 21 which gives creators life + 50 years protection. Hmm, their law was enacted in 1990. Kinda makes you wonder where the US got its life + 50 years idea from.

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    [/QUOTE]Where is the PG Database?

There seems to be multiple ones out there now... [QUOTE]

PeerGuardian 2 IP Database

3. File Sharing   -   #33
    Originally posted by REALITY@23 May 2003 - 01:34
    Static... that sucks.

Speaking of Proxy, have you ever used Socks5 with KaZaa or do you know where to get a reliable one? I have looked around and found lists, but none work, or I could be missing something.
    Yup..it does.

Ahhh.. I have never used a Socks5 Proxy, and really dont know that much about them.. However, you might want to check here I use this site occasionally for my anonymous proxies.. there is also some good information here.

Sorry that I couldnt be of more help to you.

Edit:removed dead link

4. File Sharing   -   #34
    Fatal Error wrote:

However, you might want to check here I use this site occasionally for my anonymous proxies.. there is also some good information here.
    Pardon my ignorance here. Except for ZoneAlarm, I've never used a proxy server or (until today) PeerGuardian. When I put PG online, it took absolutely no hits at all over several hours ... which I assume is because ZoneAlarm bounced the sniffs. Anyhoo, I went to the page you linked to and noticed something. Some proxy servers are labeled "anonymous" and others "high anonimity." Kinda like saying one woman is pregnant and another woman is very pregnant, hehe. What's the difference between the two types of anonimity? And, if these proxy servers really hide your IP, why do people use PeerGuardian? I'm pretty confused here.

5. File Sharing   -   #35
    bago
    hi a work mate of mine received this and then his isp contacted him saying that the riaa had requested them to block his internet access due to file sharing , his isp did not block it this time but gave him a warnibg so now he moves his files that are subject to copy write protection to a sepaerate file, and only leaves non copywrite material in his shared folder.

however he makes the files available upon request if required

6. File Sharing   -   #36
    Poster
    Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@23 May 2003 - 21:01
    Pardon my ignorance here.  Except for ZoneAlarm, I've never used a proxy server or (until today) PeerGuardian.  When I put PG online, it took absolutely no hits at all over several hours ... which I assume is because ZoneAlarm bounced the sniffs.
    And, if these proxy servers really hide your IP, why do people use PeerGuardian?  I'm pretty confused here.
    Because Kazaa Lite++ and most any other file sharing program REQUIRES direct ip connections to work. Proxy servers make the route indirect, but breaks file sharing programs functionality often in whole or in part.

Proxy servers make no distinction on who you connect to, only that you don't supposedly give out your ip address as a condition of that connection.

Peer Guardian makes no distinction on how you connect, only on who you connect to.

Zone Alarm probably won't block the kinds of sniffing the RIAA/MPAA/BSA is doing, because it appears as either 'allowed web traffic' or 'Kazaa Lite++ traffic' -- which you HAD to allow to get Kazaa Lite++ working in the first place.

7. File Sharing   -   #37
    Switeck wrote:

Because Kazaa Lite++ and most any other file sharing program REQUIRES direct ip connections to work.
    Hmm ... so people using proxy servers have to use "special" P2P utilities? Which ones? It seems to me that PeerGuardian may only be of temporary benefit. I'm assuming RIAA et al make it a habit to download the blocklists, too, to find a way around them.

8. File Sharing   -   #38
    Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@23 May 2003 - 22:01
    Fatal Error wrote:

However, you might want to check here I use this site occasionally for my anonymous proxies.. there is also some good information here.
    Pardon my ignorance here. Except for ZoneAlarm, I've never used a proxy server or (until today) PeerGuardian. When I put PG online, it took absolutely no hits at all over several hours ... which I assume is because ZoneAlarm bounced the sniffs. Anyhoo, I went to the page you linked to and noticed something. Some proxy servers are labeled "anonymous" and others "high anonimity." Kinda like saying one woman is pregnant and another woman is very pregnant, hehe. What's the difference between the two types of anonimity? And, if these proxy servers really hide your IP, why do people use PeerGuardian? I'm pretty confused here.
    I think that Switeck's post probably already cleared up most of your confusion.. Nice explanation Switeck

Anonymous proxy servers are generally used to browse the internet, while keeping YOUR IP concealled and prevented from being logged by the likes of IP harvesting software, your IP can be tracked, and therefore, any website that you visit. People do this for several reasons,usually to avoid scrutiny of "prying eyes" but it also works well in reducing the number of "spam lists" that you may otherwise end up on.

Some important things to remember about the use of proxies:

1) That in almost ALL cases the use of a proxy WILL slow down your internet connection speed. How Much?.. this depends on the proxy you use, so its VERY important that you select one that will give you a good connection speed.

2) Most proxies have a short life. So it's important that they be checked regularly (I check daily) to make sure that they are in fact working and functioning properly.

I personally use proxies configured for use on PORT 80 (http) to avoid functionality problems with other programs that I use..otherwise, you may not be able to access certain programs like Hotmail which are "secure" and require authentication.

LOL.. I liked your analogy of "pregnant" or " VERY pregnant".. in truth, you are NOT that far off the mark.. the difference is in the number of clients the proxy is routed through. "high anonimity" uses more and tends to be much slower, but more secure.. these are used by people that are exchanging "National Security Secrets" where security is the issue.. not speed. In most cases "anonymous" works just fine. I still download files on KL @ up to 170kbps.. works for me.

btw: It's been 2 days now and I havent gotten any hits on my PG from your "Chinese friend".. what did you do that he is being so persistent, pee on his chow mein?!! or did you forget to leave a tip at the resturant . Ahhhhhh.. for you today, a very "special sauce"..

9. File Sharing   -   #39
    Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@24 May 2003 - 10:15
    Switeck wrote:

Because Kazaa Lite++ and most any other file sharing program REQUIRES direct ip connections to work.
    Hmm ... so people using proxy servers have to use "special" P2P utilities? Which ones? It seems to me that PeerGuardian may only be of temporary benefit. I'm assuming RIAA et al make it a habit to download the blocklists, too, to find a way around them.
    I dont use any "special p2p utilities".

Here is some information for those that may not know how to install a proxy:

To enable a proxy server in Netscape, go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Proxies. Choose "Manual Proxy Configuration," then click the View button and enter the proxy's hostname and port number in the WWW field.

To enable a proxy server in IE, go to Tools > Internet Options > Connections. If you use a dialup connection, click the "Settings" button next to the dialup properties box. If you have a broadband connection, click the "LAN Settings" button instead. Check the "Use a proxy" option, then enter the proxy's hostname and port number in the fields.

I have already posted a link to a good proxy list in an above post.. I would suggest adding it to your favorites, or placing a shortcut to it on your desktop... so its always "handy."

I hope this information has helped someone.. If there are any questions.. just ask them in the "Software World" forum.. I'm sure that many people can answer your question(s)

Happy Burning !

10. File Sharing   -   #40
    I have not checked your links yet but...
    In most cases "anonymous" works just fine. I still download files on KL @ up to 170kbps.. works for me.
    How do you use a proxy for KaZaa? Does it not work differently than IE etc...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234