Thread: Portable Hard Drive recommendations Please

Hi Guys

I have lots of "data" I wish to keep safe.

I used to have 2 computers, one in my house one in a shed so I was able to backup files to the one in the shed for safety.

But now I am in a new house with only one building so I can no longer do this.

I will need to invest in some sort of portable hard drive that I can plug in to my main PC, backup the files on to it, and then take it to a friends place for storage.

Can anyone recommend a good system to do this ?

Eg some sort of caddy or USB drive etc and I have heard of some sort of system by Matrox.

Kind Regards

Digby
    NZ
    Last edited by digmen1; 01-03-2007 at 11:11 PM. Reason: typo

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    There are plenty to choose from, here are some examples of what's available.
    http://www.cclonline.com/product-cat...ategory_id=367

I haven't bothered checking whether those are good prices, since I'm sure you know comparable sites in NZ.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    cow_dung's Avatar 2010 Killua
    i use my ipod...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You could get a USB2.0 External Enclosure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817145127

And insert a hard drive.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I prefer the external enclosure concept of VB's but, if at all possible, would recommend this Vantec unit.
    The eSATA interface is much faster than USB (if your client/host machines support SATA) and the enclosure is quite nicely built.
    In use, the Vantec is silent and the transfer speed is essentially similar to an internally mounted drive.

Here's a comparision of two identical Seagate drives- one internal (blue) and the other in the Vantec enclosure (red)...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg