Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting video from avi to mpg

Hey everyone,

I recently got an RCA m5002 mp3 player and im loving it, blows away ipod nano.
    Anyway,
    I want to convert my avi movies to mpg,
    And ive tried winmpg,
    and i get audio but no video,
    i tried this other one its called like convert xsomethin somethin.
    sorry about that i cant get the name now,
    And i got video but no audio,
    What free software can i use that will work with me??????

Tanner.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    WinAVI version 7.7 is pretty good if you ask me.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    It can video playback MOV, AVI file formats and also plays downloaded M-PEG videos as well.

That line was taken directly from an advert for the player. Why do they distinguish downloaded m-peg files and not just any mpeg file? It also says it can play WMV, and they are even smaller files than mpeg or avi so why not go for wmv? Personally I don't like Winavi, but you can try it, expect out of sync or missing audio as your experiencing now though. Why don't you visit videohelp.com and put "convert avi to mpeg" into its search window and see what comes up. Most software on that site is open source freeware so you don't have to worry about virus laden cracks and the site has tutorials that cover just about anything you could want to do.

Nice player by the way!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    cow_dung's Avatar 2010 Killua

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut

Unsure

Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    Personally I don't like Winavi, but you can try it, expect out of sync or missing audio as your experiencing now though.
    It's only done that to me once, and it was because I was converting a *.swf to *.avi. Other than that I use it for my other video conversions, no problem.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Appzalien,

I thought it played avi which is why it threw me off,
    but on the box,
    When it says It can video playback MOV and AVI
    THe part that says avi has a white sticker over it and it says M-PEG as if they changed it,
    and when i tried to copy my avis to the player it said unsupported format.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    KazaaBoy's Avatar Nothing On The Moon.
    Canopus Procoder 2

Best video converter to any format.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner31593 View Post
    Appzalien,

I thought it played avi which is why it threw me off,
    but on the box,
    When it says It can video playback MOV and AVI
    THe part that says avi has a white sticker over it and it says M-PEG as if they changed it,
    and when i tried to copy my avis to the player it said unsupported format.
    Hi Tanner,

I experienced the same thing with the white sticker. I've thrown the box away since but that sounds exactly like what my box looked like -- but only on the english features. The other language wasn't "corrected".

Anyway, I can't get .avi or .mpeg files to load (sync). I got one .mov to appear on the player but it displays "unsupported format" if you attempt to play it. This player doesn't have real instructions and there isn't anything useful online at RCA.com. I don't know if the M5002 is a POS or if I'm doing something wrong! There is a .avi that seemed to load successfully but it only shows when I check the MP3 player with my PC in My Computer. This .avi title can't be seen using the player controls, and of course it doesn't play.

I don't have much experience with MP3 players hence the confusion. When trying to sync, the device doesn't show a folder for video. Maybe that's the problem. When you look at the device in My Computer, you can see the "Video" subfolder in a folder called "Data". There is another folder called "Media" which has the subfolders that appear when syncing with Windows Media Player; as previously stated, "Video" is not included here.

I guess we're in the same boat....

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    kazaaman's Avatar Proud Indian
    You should definitely dl Super. It converts almost every format to any format you would want and best of all its free!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    chip19's Avatar a chip off ol' death BT Rep: +4
    Is it MPEG-1, MPEG-2, or MPEG-4?

If MPEG-1 or MPEG-2, I would use TMPGEnc. It is the most powerful MPG encoder available, and you can make custom settings to support whatever resolution, bitrate, and resolutions that are required by your media player (as opposed to using the templates which are for DVD or VCD players).

If MPEG-4, you can use a program like PSP Video 9. Again, though it is not meant for your purpose, you can customize the settings to whatever you need. It likes 29.97 as framerate in order to keep sync, FYI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast