Thread: Usenet Mp3s

Hey Can Riaa Sue You If Your Downloading Music On Usenet With Ssl Encryption Can They Find Out What You Have Downloaded???

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Yes they can find out what youve downloaded, even if you use ssl. If they have a search warrant for your house or your usenet provider they can confiscate their systems and search trough the log files, keep in mind that ssl only works during transport. This means if they have your log files or your usenet providers, they have evidence. This also means they cant sue you with information from your isp because they do the transport (thats when ssl does the encryption).

Chance your usenet provider gets raided, 0.0 at the moment, this can change if laws are changed.
    Chance you will be investigated if you only use ssl usenet to acquire illegal material, 0.0 (and you dont upload)

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    so u saying the newgroup isp keeps logs and riaa bust them they get their log and they will get my address and everything i thought they couldnt kepp logs ???

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Giganews is not logging anything else than amount of traffic etc. They don't log what you download, just how much.

I guess this apply to other NG providers too.

http://www.giganews.com/faq.html#q4.1

Does Giganews keep track of what I download/upload, and what is the Giganews 'privacy policy'?
    Giganews does not track the specific articles you download; however, we will track the volume of your downloads for account maintenance and download limit enforcement purposes (if applicable).

All Usenet posts posted through any of Giganews' global Usenet clusters are tagged with an "XTrace" identification tag in the header. This tag is an internal tag which Giganews can use internally to identify the person who has posted any article through our servers. We use this information to identify abusers and to help control Spam.

Giganews does not release any customer information, for any reason, unless specific information is identified and requested by court order. We invite you to review our Privacy Policy.
    Last edited by MultiForce; 02-02-2007 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Adding some evidence :P

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by acemanep View Post
    so u saying the newgroup isp keeps logs and riaa bust them they get their log and they will get my address and everything i thought they couldnt kepp logs ???
    I tried to say your ISP CANT bust you because thats when your traffic is encrypted by ssl, it is possible when they gain acces to your log files or your usenet providers logs.

Multiforce is right, I just tried to explain that you can get busted when using ssl (technicly).
    Last edited by geen; 02-02-2007 at 12:35 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    vqt's Avatar Usenet n00b
    Before introduction of SSL the weakest link in a chain was ISP because it could log your downloads, nowadays using SSL together with hard drive encryption (like Tru3 Crypt ) should be enough to feel safe especially that premium usenet providers do not keep logs of downloaded content (so far )