Hey, I've been converted to Newsgroups!!!
I've finally decided to make some effort and go back and give Newsgroups a fair crack!
Initially I've been put off using Newsgroups, as they were the first thing I tried even before my K-Lite days... The experience, much like IRC wasn't good and kinda put me off.
But after doing some reading, using some of the guides posted here, and generally being annoyed with the whole Bit torrent scene, the reasons are many and I wont waffle on too much.. But anyway I was getting a bit miffed with how the Bit torrent P2P world seems to be going:
- I really don't have the upload bandwidth anymore to keep a good ratio.
- Most (but not all) BT sites appear to be taking the format of "pay to leech". (Which is basically extortion with some of the rules certain sites have; practically make it impossible to keep a good ratio, thus making sure if you are a heavy user you will almost certainly have to "donate".
- Speed varies greatly depending on how many seeders there are and how much bandwidth those seeders are giving out. In general speeds are usually good, but not always.
- Most stuff appears on Newsgroups before or shortly after the torrent sites get it, mostly.. ofcourse there are always exceptions...
- I'm getting sick to death of leaving my PC on 24/7 in order to keep some kind of good ratio.. I would like to occasionaly turn the thing off every now and then!
- Due to my low upload speed it means I have to keep stuff on my hard drive for longer, taking up valuable space.
- Generally begging for invites or having to provide proof of a good ratio just gets on my tits. Some of the crap that goes on with the invites, (although I haven't personally been scammed), is just becoming tiresome. Even the "<insert name here> is a scammer" threads that turn into quite an entertaining flame battle are just getting a bit weak tbh.
The straw that broke the camels back was when I got a dedicated Linux box, and decided to start using that for my BT downloads, which is good for your ratio, but pretty bad for your wallet.. I suddenly had the brainwave of saying wait a sec all this money could be getting used for more important things, ie beer! I could pay 1/10th of the amount im currently paying for a dedi box and use that for Newsgroup account....that was enough for me, server contract: cancelled.
I'm sure there are other reasons why I'm ditching BT, but these are the main ones. lol and I did say I wasn't going to waffle on?
Well I got Newsleecher+50 gigs worth on Usenet, and I have to say I'm impressed downloads are constantly maxed out and doubt very much I will be using BT at all, maybe to grab the occasional album from Oink, but apart from that I doubt vey much I will be going back.
I've just re-read this brain-fart of a thread and I would like to apologise for telling you guys stuff you have been banging on to us for ages about, but hey it just takes a while for the info to sink into my thick skull..
Oh aye, and I forgot that the point of this thread was I actually had a question: if during my Newsleecher searches say I find something that hasn't been posted here and I start to download it, am I right in thinking that I can then take the NZB that I downloaded and post it up here to share? I don't have to complete downloading the file? I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I would like to make sure before I post anything.
I feel better now thats all out...