Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: dead machine. HELP

Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    It looks like this is leading towards a whole new computer.

Please don't buy another emachines or even other prebuilt.

Buy good quality parts and build your own.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Oh VB , you can find some good white box stores that use good quality parts for a good price . The irony is they usually use a cheap tower and crappy Psu to keep the price down .

Thats the beauty of some of the smaller mom and pop stores you can pick your components such as a better psu , more case fans etc.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    It looks like this is leading towards a whole new computer.

Please don't buy another emachines or even other prebuilt.
    I really have no problem with eMachines (or any prebuilt for that matter)- my Mom's T series lasted for nearly 5 years and- as far as I know- is still going strong.
    If a new PSU will solve the problem, then lee got off lucky and the PC should chug along just fine.
    If it's the motherboard as well...OK, then you start thinking of other options.
    Depending on one's skill level/ambition a low cost replacement board is certainly do-able and almost certainly the less expensive path to go down.

I guess it depends on the age of the PC and what the user wants/expects from it.
    Obviously, almost any new machine would be theoretically superior but that may not be noticeable to a non-poweruser.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    If I can add , some shops will test your machine for you for a reasonable cost say $20.00 can. to narrow down the problem psu or mobo for example . Not all will but some do .

I always tell friends to save their old parts , I have buddies giving me older systems with 40 gb hdd's ,256 mb ram , 32 mb vid cards etc. when they upgrade to a new computer . Its nice to have an old part like psu or cd -rom to test .

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    If I can add , some shops will test your machine for you for a reasonable cost say $20.00 can. to narrow down the problem psu or mobo for example . Not all will but some do .
    We test PSUs for free.

It's actually a great sales technique.
    Once the case is open ( a miraculous sight to most folks) it's easy to upsell RAM, etc.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Ya clocker I think computers just scare most people , was it not your shop that had a build your own computer work shop at your store ?

Where I take my friends the owners invite them in to the back to show what their system looks like in parts ,then offer to let them install the memory or vid card time allowing . Takes all the fear out of it , then they tell two friends and so on .

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    thank you all for your thoughts/suggestions.

the new psu didn't help anything, so i'm guessing the mobo is gone. i had to drop it off at a shop to see if they can at least diagnose the problem. i called 9 places to check their prices and found one that will look at it for free. it's the quickest way to get my box back. i'd love to keep my pride and just order a few parts, but i really can't wait for stuff to be shipped.

it's been a good machine too. it gets used nonstop and this will be the first piece of hardware requiring replacement. we'll see tomorrow.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by lee551 View Post
    thank you all for your thoughts/suggestions.

the new psu didn't help anything, so i'm guessing the mobo is gone. i had to drop it off at a shop to see if they can at least diagnose the problem. i called 9 places to check their prices and found one that will look at it for free. it's the quickest way to get my box back. i'd love to keep my pride and just order a few parts, but i really can't wait for stuff to be shipped.

it's been a good machine too. it gets used nonstop and this will be the first piece of hardware requiring replacement. we'll see tomorrow.

No problem at least you'll know , I would n't throw a lot of money at it tho maybe a midrange mobo for $60 .00 can. or there abouts ? Asus or the like .

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    North Dakota has nine PC repair shops?

Isn't that like one shop per PC then?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    chojin's Avatar In Hell With SaTan
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    North Dakota has nine PC repair shops?

Isn't that like one shop per PC then?

LMAO

---------