Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Congratulations To Us, The Opinionated

A topic so bland as to not present at least the possibility of flaming wouldn't be worth the space in this section.
    I think the tone in here has evened out of late and the stage is set for some productive debate.
    A lively debate that doesn't occasionally degenerate into sheer hysteria would be boring.

Watch the British Parliament for my idea of a suitable role model.
    They are so amusing and ,after all, my primary reason for being here is amusement. Any side benefits, such as education, cultural expansion, etc. are simply perks.
    Unlike the Mods, I don't get a fabulous salary and the chance to be bribed ( yes, I know you will see that, Bender) just to be here.
    I didn't say it had to be impossible to flame in it. After all, people like to let off a little steam every now and then and I like a lively debate as much as the next person so long as people don't get too carried away (starting on personal insults etc.)...Just thought a wider range of topics might be considered.

As for the British parliament, i've got to admit they are amusing...though I must say they should stop treating it as a game to score points against each other. Makes me wish they were'nt the parliament running my country. Thank god our royalty have no real power though...then we really would be in trouble. (though thinking about it you could say we already are...anyway enough of my cynicism and pessimism) B)

2. The Drawing Room   -   #62
    crazy_billy_bats's Avatar Poster
    the royal family

a complete joke.

waste of time, money and space.

The Queen........... oh...please dont get me started....

3. The Drawing Room   -   #63
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Lets hang those republicans....

4. The Drawing Room   -   #64
    Rat Faced wrote:

House of Commons 'runs' the country..

House of Lords owns the country....
    I've always wondered how many of those "Knights of the Realm" are also "Knights of the Green Shield" ... or are otherwise heavily invested in British Petroleum.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #65
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by [)arkredemption@30 May 2003 - 12:47

I didn't say it had to be impossible to flame in it. After all, people like to let off a little steam every now and then and I like a lively debate as much as the next person so long as people don't get too carried away (starting on personal insults etc.)...Just thought a wider range of topics might be considered.

...anyway enough of my cynicism and pessimism)  B)
    By all means, feel free to expand our topical horizon in any direction you see fit.
    Politics can get rather rigid and dry in a hurry.

personally, I'm a big fan of cynicism and pessimism ( which is why, all evidence to the contrary, I was a fan of JPaul's. He just caved and ran too quickly for my taste, but there you go. If you're ghosting about JP, why not come back?) so don't put them away- polish and cultivate 'em.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. The Drawing Room   -   #66
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@30 May 2003 - 18:57
    Rat Faced wrote:

House of Commons 'runs' the country..

House of Lords owns the country....
    I've always wondered how many of those "Knights of the Realm" are also "Knights of the Green Shield" ... or are otherwise heavily invested in British Petroleum.
    A Knight of the Realm hasnt enough rank to make it into the House of Lords (at least not that title on its own)

I THINK (Im not big on this) that BP was originally owned by the small investor, which means its probably now wholley owned by Private Pension Funds and other large corporations.

Not my favourite company, as they hired certain people to beat up and kill protestors in a third world country where they were operating and had a lot of political muscle (see, its not just US companies that are bastards )

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567