Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions for Kermit ...

Question Mark

I was reading an article in the Guardian about the present day 'crusade' by religious organisations again gays. Knowing Kermit's fondness for quoting scripture to justify his points of view, I thought it would be interesting to hear his opinions on certain parts of scripture brought up by a reader's comments ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I do need some advice, however, regarding some of the other specific laws in the Bible and how to follow them.

1). When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord (Leviticus 1:9). The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2). I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3). I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual cleanliness (Leviticus 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

4). I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states that he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

5). A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is a abomination of Leviticus 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

6). Leviticus 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

7). Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Leviticus 19:27. How should they die?

8). I know from Leviticus 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

9). My uncle has a farm. He violates Leviticus 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Leviticus 24:10-16). Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Leviticus 20:14).

Read the whole piece here.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    GepperRankins's Avatar we want your oil!
    you should get on youtube. there's less long words and more swearing. it's where the cool atheists are right now

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by GepperRankins View Post
    you should get on youtube. there's less long words and more swearing. it's where the cool atheists are right now
    I don't want to mix with cool atheists, I'm shit hot, for a start, and I'm not an atheist.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    3). I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual cleanliness (Leviticus 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.
    I think if you get such a response then it's probably that time of the month [youtube]mCwKbUVyHLY[/youtube]
    Last edited by vidcc; 01-10-2007 at 01:41 AM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    I don't want to mix with cool atheists, I'm shit hot, for a start, and I'm not an atheist.
    Have you experienced an epiphany
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post

Have you experienced an epiphany
    he probably considers himself a bright.

intentionally deceptive name and an elitist attitude. damn those errrr. nm

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Oh dear, I'm being attacked by the GEP mafia again, excuse me whilst I pull the duster feathers out of my back!

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Oh dear, I'm being attacked by the GEP mafia again, excuse me whilst I pull the duster feathers out of my back!
    no you aren't

oh wait. sorry. i could have worded that better. i was just reading up on this bright thing. i thought it'd be a smart arse thing to call an atheist who denies atheism, a bright.

as far as religion goes i'll most likely agree with you a lot more than i agree with JP. i reckon organised religion is a shit.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    i thought it'd be a smart arse thing to call an atheist who denies atheism, a bright.
    If you'd read some earlier threads of mine you'd know that if I have to be called anything, it would be agnostic, not atheist. I would prefer no labels, but that seems too complicated for some people to comprehend.

As to religions, that's a whole different thing, one doesn't need to be an atheist or agnostic to find religions to be a load of bollocks. There are many deeply spiritual people, who believe in gods, who don't belong to any religion, and have no desire to be a part of one.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    explain your agnosticism plz. if you reject organised religion, there's no reason to believe in a god. the idea is purely man-made.

so an omnipotent being can't be disproved, but he's never been seen, he's never done anything, and he's doing a good job of hiding.

Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast