Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Data Transfer Questions

TRshady
    I have looked at many sites but no site seems to explain how the data transfer is calculated so I would like to ask this. My geocities site is always being taken down for exceding this limit and I would like to know the cause.

Does linking downloads to other sites effect my sites data transfer?

For example, my k-lite download is linked to the edesks mirror so when clicked automatically brings up the box asking wether to save or open the file, does this effect my site datatransfer?

What about files hosted by my geocities account?

Any suggestons appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    It sounds like customer service could get you an answer. But, you probably don't have very much bandwidth allowance anyways. (you get free hosting don't you?)

Anyways, all data going through their(Geocities) servers counts toward your bandwidth allotment. So, when someone downloads from your site, that data is going through their servers and counts toward your bandwidth total. It doesn't matter where the actual file is located.

Directing users to another [mirror] site so they can than click a download link should not affect your bandwidth use.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    TRshady
    ok, thanks alot. That what I was looking for.

Yes, my site is free. I guess I'll have to link to the download site, not actual location.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    you could link to my mirror page instead of my direct download if you want, then you dont have to update your link every time new version comes out.
    link to http://www.livy.myby.co.uk/klite.html
    my mirror is http://kc2.edskes.com click it to check.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    I found that even pages with a lot of graphics will be shut down for exceeding the transfer limit.
    They (Geocities ) actually count each image viewed as a download which sounds rediculous but true.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    TRshady
    Originally posted by Livy@19 May 2003 - 16:12
    you could link to my mirror page
    ok, done that. thanks. I'm having to do that with my other downloads to.
    Yeah I knew that images have to be downloaded so people can see it on their browser. I'm gonna start adding pics, lets see how it goes ......

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    no probs, one other thing, on the main page, the k of view guestbook is on a different line.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    TRshady
    Strange, its like that at school too. I thought it was just the macs. When I view it on both (800x640 & 1024x768) it looks fine. Ok, I'll move it over now, cheers.

P.S: can you lovely guys & girlz sign my guestbook?
    I only have one entry so far

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    TRshady
    Originally posted by harrycary@19 May 2003 - 15:50
    It sounds like customer service could get you an answer. But, you probably don't have very much bandwidth allowance anyways. (you get free hosting don't you?)

Anyways, all data going through their(Geocities) servers counts toward your bandwidth allotment. So, when someone downloads from your site, that data is going through their servers and counts toward your bandwidth total. It doesn't matter where the actual file is located.

Directing users to another [mirror] site so they can than click a download link should not affect your bandwidth use.
    if the file isnt in geocities then it doesnt affect your site transfer
    Can more people reply to this please?

Who is right? soul or harry carry?

If a file is NOT stored in geocities (my host) does it effect my sites transfer?

soul, I have faith in you

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    iwould think it does, as the file doesnt get sent to geocites, the the person downloads, the person downloading is directly communicating with the site where the file is,
    i think anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast