Thread: RIAA Fights to Keep Wholesale Pricing Secret

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    UMG vs. Marie Lindor is one of few cases where the defendant is fighting, instead of settling with the RIAA. The record labels consider pricing information (believed to be ~70¢ per track) as a trade secret and are against Lindor's attempts to gain access to it.

Lindor's attorney Ray Beckerman, argues that the only reason the labels want to keep this information under lock and key is to "serve their strategic objectives for other cases."

If granted, the proposed order would force the labels to turn over pricing and volume information regarding contracts with their 12 largest customers. Lindor makes the argument that the damages sought by the RIAA are excessive: as usual, the labels are seeking damages of $750 per song shared. Lindor argues that the actual damages suffered by the RIAA are in line with the wholesale price per song (between $2.80 and $7.00).

Source: Neowin.Net
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Ray Beckerman sounds like one smart lawyer .

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Well at least with this considered, you can assess your fine to be thousands of dollars less, if caught.

$7.00 is minuscule compared to $750, and is a lot more fair a fine. I would love to see the reaction of the RIAA if it were brought down to the lower fines. They would give up hope altogether I would assume. There would be nothing to gain from $100 fines and the like. Court fees would far outweigh the fine.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by Damnatory View Post
    I would love to see the reaction of the RIAA if it were brought down to the lower fines. They would give up hope altogether I would assume. There would be nothing to gain from $100 fines and the like. Court fees would far outweigh the fine.
    But if found guilty are the defendants liable for the riaa's lawyer fees.

Then again if they can only claim a dollar a song will this not be a case for the us equivilent of the british small claims court. that would royaly screw them.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    kazaaman's Avatar Proud Indian
    Personally, when downloading songs of an artist you like, why not support him/her by just mailing him/her the money you owe him/her ($.25-$1.00).

P.S. RIAA sucks

6. News (Archive)   -   #6

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kazaaman View Post
    Personally, when downloading songs of an artist you like, why not support him/her by just mailing him/her the money you owe him/her ($.25-$1.00).

P.S. RIAA sucks
    I support my favorite/top bands by buying accessories such as clothes (T-Shirts, shorts, hoodies, etc.). I like that way best.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    slowgo's Avatar Sysop@Wild-Bytes
    It all a money making thing... the riaa has to justify thier existence by suing for amounts way out porportion to the offence.....Just another way for lawyers to get rich quicker

But I hope this lawyer wins in at least making then revisit making the punishment fit the crime

Slowgo

P2P forever Pirates never die they just get smarter at hiding thier loot

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    From what I was reading over on the EFF site, the wholesale price is around 70 cents per song.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodachi216 View Post
    From what I was reading over on the EFF site, the wholesale price is around 70 cents per song.
    That's what the article says.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Doh! That's what I get for just skimming over it.