Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When did it all go wrong?

shikotee's Avatar Of Crazy Mind
    I realize that in writing this, there are going to be some peeps that are going to be ultra pisssed-off ...

Just to let you know - I am a mere user, and have never run a site.
    I've also only been a member of this community for just over a month.

I just want to share my thoughts, hear what others have to say, and hopefully challenge you to re-examine your own motivations.

So I gotta ask - what is this invitation madness all about?

Ultimately - I guess this is the price that you have to pay now that torrenting has become mainstream?

Are you motivated by need, or by status?
    Is it possibly a manifestation of greed?

Is quantity (ie superficial member of 15 trackers) more important than the quality of your relationship (maintain good ratio, and establish friendships)?

Have you ever thought about why you do what you do?

For example - I know why I like torrenting. I simply think that present day economies are out of whack, and that way too many things (movies, music, sports) are way too inflated and therefore unaccessable for the masses. This particular debate is complicated, so I won't delve further into it.

While I've been torrenting for years, during that time, I really didn't care about anything - all I wanted was to do was satisfy my download urges. For the most part, this was because I was ignorant of how torrenting worked, and I was limited with my hardware. Slowly, this has changed.

So what is up with this crazy lust for account/invite trading?
    I've mentioned it in another thread, and I'll say it again.

Are invites in the digital torrenting world the equivalent of cigarettes in the penal system?

People here seem to be so consumed with this, and I have to ask (this goes out to the heavy traders) - why are you doing what you are doing?

Sure - some people have legit reasons for why they are doing this, but many seem to be motivated by ego/greed, and the end result is that it is ruining it for many.

As a result of these actions, many trackers are now re-examining the way that they screen their members, and are coming to realize that just because a user maintains a good ratio (has fast ISP or seedbox), this does not mean that they are good people.

Ultimately, I guess this all reflects the real world. So many different people and different ways of life, and so many bad apple's that respect nothing short of their own basic urges.

Anyways - I know I might come off as sappy here, but what can I do?

My advice - find a place you like, download and upload tons , and don't worry about this mindless pursuit of obtaining the best trackers.

If it is meant to be, you will find your way.
    If not, be happy with what you have.
    Don't let anger rule you.

And remember - it could be worse....

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    JA's Avatar //Me<3You!? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Houston we have an emo for torrents..
    eee

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    shikotee's Avatar Of Crazy Mind
    Checked my wrists (and my music collection)....

Not Emo, but lol

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Fulanito's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    bravoo!! hehe
    " I didn't want to become Peruvian, i just got lucky "

No preocupetion mister! A mi los Apaches me apapachan!
    Once a noob, always a noob!

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Sharing since 2002 BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Yup, collecting trackers is addictive. Its the same with others collections.
    I liked read your post shikotee

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Flip RepresenT BT Rep: +5
    interesting point of view..long..but interesting non-the-less

im personally driven by the need to have the best of the best

I want the best sites and in order to get them you have to play this trading game nuff said

o And I love it =) Its actually quite entertaining plus you meet some pretty cool people along the way
    Last edited by FlipRising21; 01-10-2007 at 12:14 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    i wouldnt say im addicted to trackers but, when a new one starts you want in. and when you find one you havent got you wanna see how good it is.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    Any Torrent sites is oNLY as good as it's SEEDERS !!, nothing BUT SEEDERS !!

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    seeders would be nothing without leechers

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    j0hn's Avatar leet poster BT Rep: +1
    i took part in invite trading to work my way upto the best sites. im now part of the sites i was aiming for. i no longer need to give/receive invites. the funny part is, although i tried to trade my way into certain sites, i ended up getting them by other means. usually ways that fall within the sites rules, unlike invite trading.

though i still like to give out some invites to trusted users, to help them in some way as others may have helped me.

i am also baffled by the minority who continue to aggressively trade/beg for invites even after they have made it into the top sites available. inviter above says its addictive. hey, whatever floats ur boat. i simply wanted easy/quick/reliable access to the best content around, at high speeds. now i have that. at the same time i've become part of some fantastic communities, with dedicated members.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast