Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this obscene

Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    David Beckham's new deal to join The LA Galaxy is reputed to be worth around quarter of a billion dollars.

The Galaxy, citing industry experts, said Beckham's deal is worth more than $250 million in salary and commercial endorsements and is "thought to be the biggest in sporting history."
    Now I'm all for a chap making a decent living, however that seems to have gone a wee bit over the top.

Is it right that someone should be paid that sum of money for playing soccer (or anything for that matter) and for their ability to advertise stuff. It seems obscene to me. You could invade a small country with that kind of cash.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    The wages for players at the top level is pretty obscene anyway, imho.

However, I don't blame the chap if people are prepared to pay him that sort of money. I'd probably do the same in his position.

They must view it as some kind of investment, and they're going to make a profit from the "beckham" brand in return, from marketing and merchandise.

So in the end, it's the fans who are obscene, for letting this sort of thing go on

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Granting, as I must, that whatever one can arrange as compensation for demonstrating whatever talent one possesses is just, and therefore ruling out such descriptives as "obscene", I must also comment that such remuneration is absurd.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    I realise that the MSL expect, or hope, to get more out of him than he's getting. It's probably their big push to make soccer a major sport in the USA by using his obvious sellability. Let's be honest he's past his best as a footballer, has been for a wee while imo. So him going there is more to draw the crowd and try to entice new fans. He was more of a commercial success than a sporting one in Spain. Opened up whole new markets for them in Japan etc where he is close to a demi-god.

However, even if we accept that it's purely a commercial thing, on both sides. What we are left with is a fella getting $250,000,000 for playing soccer and getting his photograph taken. To me it speaks volumes for the World in which we live.
    Last edited by Mr JP Fugley; 01-11-2007 at 09:41 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    When you consider that he could not get in the Real Madrid team, yes it is obscene.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    When you consider that he could not get in the Real Madrid team, yes it is obscene.
    Apparently he was offered another two years tho'. Which kind of goes to show why he's there. Play him just enough to justify still calling him a player seems to have been their tactic recently.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post
    To me it speaks volumes for the World in which we live.
    Indeed.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Apparently he was offered another two years tho'. Which kind of goes to show why he's there. Play him just enough to justify still calling him a player seems to have been their tactic recently.
    I think it was because of shirt sales.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    Somehow I can't stop to think that the Mrs. had osmething to do with this.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ahctlucabbuS View Post
    Somehow I can't stop to think that the Mrs. had osmething to do with this.
    Is she an agent, your Mrs?

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast