Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holy $#^%! Ari Fleischer Resigns!

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@24 May 2003 - 14:33
    That last article is very appropriate on many levels. Baby-boomers, unlike previous generations, are unwilling to just retire, wrap themselves in shawls, and rock away in their rocking chairs. They're more active than previous generations. And, add to that the fact that many boomers saw their life savings fritter away courtesy of the Enron debacle and other corporate hanky-panky ... and now NEED to return to the workforce to keep themselves alive.

My son manages a Burger King in Southwest Washington state. And, he hires as many seniors as he can. Why? They tend to be more responsible in their jobs (partly because many NEED them) and tend not to have their worklife affected by their social life. And, I know why my son feels that way. I managed theaters for twelve years and, for the most part, had to supervise the most volatile of all employees -- adolescents. I would have given anything to have a senior citizen apply for a job ... knowing I could count on them to be there on time, reasonably sober/straight, and motivated to do the work.

FWIW, sometime between next month and 2005 (haven't decided yet), I'm going to take early retirement from my employer. And, I'm not going to be vegitating in retirement. I'm going to be one of those seniors out there who's taking a job away from a young person.
    You go, OTD--

Make those young whippersnappers suffer the inequities of job competition.

I've always tried to get more done by mistake than others do on purpose;
    there is more satisfaction having one's performance observed by a teen who MIGHT benefit from the example than another who objects to being bested on "Principle".
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Hehe. It's been said that what youth has in speed, age makes up for in cunning. I'll give those whippersnappers a run for their money (or my money, hehe).

But, getting back on topic (Ari Fleischer Resigns), there's at least one out-of-work press secretary who needs a job. And, he has proven his ability to meet or beat Fleischer's talent for saying a lot without revealing the hidden truths:

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Poster
    They're all the same

In Dee Dee's case it had to be the toughest job on the planet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12