Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Themaltake Case - fitting hard drives query

lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    You didn't mention if the drive could be turn 180 degrees as zapjb mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by digmen1 View Post

I did look at that, but there is a big sheet of metal at the other side with a hole in it, but there is not enough room to connect the cables.
    I just scanned a couple of reviews and they both showed the HDD(s) mounted with the cables in back, toward the motherboard tray.
    Neither mentioned any clearance issues with the wiring in this config.

I think you might be missing something here...
    I initially thought that the drives were fitted front to back as in conventional systems, but having looked at the link I posted again, it is certainly clear that the drives are intended to be fitted with the cables towards the left (looking from the front).

If you look at the small images labelled "Front intake fan cools hard drives" and "Removable HDD cage for easy installation" you can see the front of the case next to the cage. Most reviews where I've seen wiring have used this setup.

I looked for reviews that show the drive fitted the other way round. I haven't seen a review of that type that actually showed any cabling to the drives. Add to that the fact that drive mounting holes are not positioned symmetrically and you soon realise that the drives simply could not be securely mounted that way. The only conclusion is that those reviews are more than a little suspect.

I haven't seen any moans about the wiring, but there have been plenty about this cage in general. Perhaps they got so fed up trying to fit the drives that most just put them in long enough to take a photo and never tried fitting the side of the case.

Here's an excellent example of a drive properly mounted. It is clear that it could not be fitted the other way round - the holes would not line up with the grommets.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Hi Lynx

Thanks for all the interest in my post.

Yes I am sure that I have installed the hard drive the only way it can be installed. As you say I could not turn it round as the screw holes in the cage would not fit the drive.

I have looked at a couple of the reviews and they were very detailed, with five or six pages lots of text and lots of pics and they were criticial of several aspects of the case.

But they obviously did not continue with a complete installation or they would have picked up my complaints. (as you say, they probably thought stuff this !) and just took some pics.

I sincerely hope that other case manufacturers do not go down this route of drive cage design there is no advantage to the user.

Also I found it very hard to fit the motherboard due to the fact that the ports cover plate would not fit into the large rectangular hole. Until I saw that there was a small plate 1cm by 2cm which was secured by a screw. When I removed this the motherboard went in nicely. I then put the plate back. This was not mentioned in the case manual.

I have got the PC up and running all OK. But I would like to record my worry about the hard drive cables being bent (might look at getting some 90deg cables) (once again the manual should have recommended this and its an unwanted extra expense for no real gain). Also the motherboard mounting plate is very flimsy and mounting the stand-off plugs was a big mission.

Kind Regards

Digby
    Last edited by digmen1; 01-17-2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: typo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    lynx's Avatar .
    Is it just the power leads you've got problems with, or the data leads too?

Looking at the pics of the various PSUs available with that case, I'm guessing you got one with the TruePower PSU rather than the PurePower offering.

The PurePower already has 90 degree SATA power connectors. In fact, the SATA power connectors on the TruePower PSU are the first I've seen that are straight on, I've assumed they were all 90 degree ones until now. I bet the TruePower PSU was an afterthought that they haven't tested properly.

I can't understand why they didn't go for tool-free mountings in the drive cage, since they went for that option for the 5½" bay. If they'd done that there wouldn't have been any need to remove the cage except to fit an extra fan, and since the cage sits directly behind the front fan I can't see anyone fitting one. Without an option for a fan the cage could have been moved deeper into the case, giving more room for the cables.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Hi Lynx,

I'm not sure what power supply it is. It came with the case its at Thermaltake 430w power supply. The box does not mention any specifis model.

Yes the Sata power connector (single) from the PSU is straight on. They did supply a normal pin connector to SATA adaptor cable which I will need as I will be fitting a second Sata drive (as they are so good)

I agree with you about the non-tool free mounting of the hard drives to the cage. Indeed not only does it inhibit the possibility of mounting the drives further into the cage, but the design of the cage sides makes it very hard to fit the screws into the drives. Indeed one reviewer did mention this.

But one other "feature" I have just discovered is the non-tool free expansion card system. The case has the usual plastic clips which hold the slot covers or the expansion cards in place, but you need a screwdriver to remove or re-fit the plastic cover ! This seems to me to be not only silly in making a non-tool feature into a tool-required feature, but that it is very hard to refit the plastic clips due to the design of them. You virtually need three hands ! one to hold the slot cover down, one to hold the clip steady and the screw in place and one to turn the screwdriver. It took me quite a few attempts (of dropping the screw) to successfully refit the clips. These days with users fitting and re-fitting cards quite often, this will be a real pain.

Once again thanks for your interest Lynx.

Do many cases have these design problems ? You would think that once the case industry came up with a good design feature they would stick to it so that cases would gradually improve not go backwards as I feel this case does.

regards

Digby
    NZ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12