Thread: How to become a Racist in 15 minutes

100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    No comment, it is self explanatory

From a class divided part 1

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0gUchvopOc[/youtube]

jesus camp anyone?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I think I need to hear a comment from you, Zed.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    you win J2

This is more about Children's uncritical minds, and the effect adults (authority) have on them.

Kids are like sponges

the effect of your actions, words etc are immeasurable

the jesus camp comment needs little explanation.

if you are uncritical you will "accept" anything, your surroundings, people's around you ideas, media, work life, signs on streets etc etc all has an effect.

Im not saying walk around and be critical all the time, cause it is too late, civilized society has already formed itself. You have been "formed", as i have by my surroundings

But indeed blue eyed vs brown eyed is a nice trick,
    so why did she choose blue eyed as superior...? (as jp would say : "obviousment")
    green eyed is more rare and in our capitalist society rare is elite. although red eyed is even more rare (precious?) except only it means you have a deficiency or you are the devil (or bad photography)

Diamonds are suposedly "rare" hence precious
    Except when it comes to "cultures" or "race", Rare becomes a minority, minorities are discriminated against. (= hypocracy )

Epliogue
    The teacher has the right attitude
    however
    That experiment is sick, children of that age should not be played with in that way (pavlov proved this), i think it is until around 15 - 18 that you become critical.

I didn't see the rest
    Last edited by 100%; 02-08-2007 at 10:27 PM.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    you win J2

This is more about Children's uncritical minds, and the effect adults (authority) have on them.

Kids are like sponges

the effect of your actions, words etc are immeasurable

the jesus camp comment needs little explanation.

if you are uncritical you will "accept" anything, your surroundings, people's around you ideas, media, work life, signs on streets etc etc all has an effect.

Im not saying walk around and be critical all the time, cause it is too late, civilized society has already formed itself. You have been "formed", as i have by my surroundings

But indeed blue eyed vs brown eyed is a nice trick,
    so why did she choose blue eyed as superior...? (as jp would say : "obviousment")
    green eyed is more rare and in our capitalist society rare is elite. although red eyed is even more rare (precious?) except only it means you have a deficiency or you are the devil (or bad photography)

Diamonds are suposedly "rare" hence precious
    Except when it comes to "cultures" or "race", Rare becomes a minority, minorities are discriminated against. (= hypocracy )

Epliogue
    The teacher has the right attitude
    however
    That experiment is sick, children of that age should not be played with in that way (pavlov proved this), i think it is until around 15 - 18 that you become critical.

I didn't see the rest
    While I agree the children in the video are a bit young for such an object lesson, I see the problem as having more to do with presentation than technique.

The teacher's approach required a bit more sophistication and deductive ability than these children possessed; however, role-playing is quite effective in demonstrating racial bias to anyone, including youngsters.

The role-playing (as it was practiced in the video) was quite crude, though.
    Last edited by j2k4; 02-09-2007 at 03:12 AM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    The good thing with her is that she teaches too much.

Where as she who watches my kid, teaches too little.

at least she doesn't teach wrong

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    I have a plastic crucifix of jesus which i used for one of my pieces
    so i gave it to my kid to play with, just as i would give my keys to play with
    my lover seriously objects to this
    i understand.
    It has been removed.

effect

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    blue eyes rawk

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    The good thing with her is that she teaches too much.

Where as she who watches my kid, teaches too little.
    Both are wrong, in my judgment.

The first is a failure to inform owing to malformed technique, and the latter is merely incomplete.

Intent in both cases is of less-than-optimum import.

On another note, I wonder how, given video of each, the members would compare "Jesus Camp" to Wahhabism/madrassas?
    Last edited by j2k4; 02-09-2007 at 03:13 AM.

-Mark Twain