Thread: Formatting Hard Drive

Poster
    Well I'm currently running Windows XP. I just recently bought a new computer and when my friend's dad was installing some video drivers, he installed the wrong ones and it messed up my display. I reinstalled Windows and it seemed to fix the problem. The only thing is, then the window's boot up screen shows, the image is messed up. I tryed formatting my hard drive but always got this error:

I also ran the Windows XP CD, but when i try to delete a partition, i cant. i can't remember the error is showed before, but it says something about it cant delete the partition because setup is using files on it.

Does anyone know a way around this. Any help is welcome. If you need better infomation, i'll try to provide it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Warning this erases any data you have. so make backups of things you want to keep.

If you are trying to format your main system drive, you need to startup your PC with the Windows XP CD in the drive. Booting from the CD will launch the setup. Before the Windows installation you will see disk partitioning and formatting tools. Reformat your drive there and then the installation will start. You will then have a 'clean install'.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Well i didn't get to reformat my harddrive. I can't get it to work. I installed WinXP on the same partion that WinXP was already installed on. Was this a good idea?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    raredaredevil
    set ur cd rom to master so it checks for a cd before it checks the harddrive (in bios) then put a windows 98 cd in proceed with 98 setup until u get a option to cancel (by pressing f5) canel and u will be in dos type
    format c:

then prees y to the message

its only good if u have a 98/me disk

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Thanks for everyones help.

I downloaded a Windows XP Boot Up Disk. I ran fdisk and got to format the drive. So i got a clean install of Windows XP Home. Thanks for everyone's help.