Thread: A question on Speedfan program

I have been using this program for the last year or so and have found it interesting. (I am not a power user).

I have just set up a new PC and have installed Speedfan on it.

I have two problems.

One is that on the main info screen only one of the four information panels displays information, the other 3 are blank !

Also it shows my Temp1 ACPI as being 85 in red !

This looks high, what is ACPI and is 85 too high ? and if so what could I do about it.

Regards

Digby

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Clearly Speedfan is misreading your sensors.
    I haven't been able to use it since moving to s939 DFI boards...it crashes me out of Windows.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Clearly Speedfan is misreading your sensors.
    I haven't been able to use it since moving to s939 DFI boards...it crashes me out of Windows.
    I hope it is misreading my sensors.

But what if my ACPI is too hot ? (I doubt it as its a brand new machine, but I might have set it up wrong !)

I have just downloaded the latest speedfan 4.31 so I hope this is better, it may support your boards. On his web site the author says he is always adding new boards as they come out.

I will keep you "posted"

regards

Digby

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Boot into your BIOS and check the temps there.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by digmen1 View Post
    But what if my ACPI is too hot ? (I doubt it as its a brand new machine, but I might have set it up wrong !)
    Your ACPI ("Advanced Configuration and Power Interface") can't get "too hot"...it's a specification, not a piece of hardware.

Beware of any software based temp monitor- they are notoriously inaccurate and, even if they weren't, what would you do about the temps you see?
    Once you start obsessing about your temps it's a long and expensive road you tread.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    cool it, clocker

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by digmen1 View Post
    Your ACPI ("Advanced Configuration and Power Interface") can't get "too hot"...it's a specification, not a piece of hardware.

Beware of any software based temp monitor- they are notoriously inaccurate and, even if they weren't, what would you do about the temps you see?
    Once you start obsessing about your temps it's a long and expensive road you tread.
    Thats what I thought it was (with my limited knowledge) a specification. I understand what you are saying, but I will email the writer of Speedfan, because it should not show this ACPI temperature and as you say there will be lots of others like me getting all hot and bothered !

Thanks

regards

Digby

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I think we get too anal with these temperature programs and I think the BIOS reading is B.S. too as your computer is not under a load . I just keep my computer clean and have installed a case fan . You'll know if its over heating as it will keep shutting down or rebooting . Then I'll deal with it .

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    chip19's Avatar a chip off ol' death BT Rep: +4
    I have experienced Speedfan's horrible inaccuracy. It claimed that my hard drive was running at 250 C. I'm sure it is... that must've been why my house is on fire. Luckily I now have an Abit board, and the included uGuru utility lets you monitor temperatures just as if you got them out of the BIOS (except it is under load). It is good enough for me.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I read somewhere a while ago that the CPU is at 100% all the time you're in the BIOS screens but do you think I could find the info again later?
    Of course not.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008