Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP Invalid Key Problems

SHUVT's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Looking for a little help on this one...

I recently got a Trojan Virus on my laptop. I tried several methods to remove it and decided to wipe the drive clean and install a fresh copy of XP on the laptop. It is a few years old and had been running poorly for quite sometime, needed to do it anyways.

The copy of windows that came with the pc was the typical OEM bundled version on Toshiba disks. I did not want to load all the extra crap that was bundled on the discs so I used another XP Home Edition disk to install XP. When I went to register the copy with the key provided with my laptop it did not work. So I did the following:

Click Start, and then click Run.2.In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.3.In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents
    4.In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify.5.Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows.6.Click Start, and then click Run.7.In the Open box, type the following command, and then click OK. %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
    8.Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows, and then click Next.9.Click Change Product key.10.Type the new product key in the New key boxes, and then click Update.

If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later, and then restart the computer.11.Repeat steps 6 and 7 to verify that Windows is activated. You receive the following message: Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit.
    12.Click OK.13.Install Windows XP SP1 or a later version of Windows XP.

This still did not allow me to use the key that was provided with my laptop. Any suggestions on validating the key that I have? It is not a corporate edition and it is a valid key not a generated or downloaded one.

Thanks!
    I haven't taken a beating like that since I opened my first issue of Hustler!
    The World is a Sick Place and I'm a Happy Guy!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    SHUVT's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    thanks for the info on that site. I tried to find step by step instructions for installing it, but I couldn't on the forums. Is there a read me file in the Zip? I tried to get to the home page, but I am at work and I get blocked with the eveil cobra violation page! LOL I can just wait til I get home tonight, but I did not know where to find the step by step instructions to look them over.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    i'll check.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    dunno
    Last edited by Alien5; 01-21-2007 at 08:49 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I recently had the same problem trying to reinstall XP with a valid product key on the bottom of a laptop. If it is a legit key, call up Microsoft and tell them you changed some hardware. They'll validate your old key and issue you a new one.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I will try the genuine.reg option. Just to clarify though... Do I copy and paste the text "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" as well, or do I copy and paste from the hotkey down? Just checkin. lol If that fails I will spend a few hours online with MS I guess.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SHUVT View Post
    I will try the genuine.reg option. Just to clarify though... Do I copy and paste the text "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00"
    no, if it doesnt work...then the answer is yes.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Come on man you are supposed to be the expert! LOL I will be off in a few hours and I will try it out and let you know if it is yes/no or none of hte above.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Are you installing from an OEM version disc? If not this would be your problem.
    I did this myself when I installed a new HDD in the wife's computer - full version XP won't accept an OEM key - and M$ couldn't help me either.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast