Thread: Best/cheapest way to upload? Block account?

Question Mark

I am a very proud Astraweberian on a $96/yr plan.

But, I'd like to contribute and upload things myself, and for whatever reason there could ever be, I want another account to upload things without risk of getting biblical 'pwned'.

Anywho, are there any block accounts that offer unlimited uploads and are known to be a very secure? I'd prefer someone other than Astraweb also, so I can use'em for filling anything, for whatever reason, might be missed by Astraweb.

NOTE: I fully understand how SSL, poster-ids, etc. fit and work, etc. etc. etc., looking for a real answer instead of someone searching for a snap reply that wastes everyone's time and is generally to raise their own post count. Thanks!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster
    blocknews.net has the cheapest prices for block accounts. From the looks of things, they all also include uploading so even the smallest account for 2.75 you could upload all you want. Although if you needed it for fills to, you would want a slightly larger one than 5 gigs maybe.

Little more expensive but usenet-news also sells block accounts. I don't know of anyone else that sells reasonably priced block accounts though that don't expire, or require a monthly renew.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    So, really? You can upload all you want for such a small amount?

Of course that seems like the way of usenet, considering it's a bad idea to hurt contributors.

If I bought the 200gb for $25, I could upload all I want with that one and use it as a fill-in?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    You should look into Usenet-News too. If you are looking for a dirt cheap account that never expires and has no posting limits - they are the place

http://usenet-news.net/index1.php?url=get <- Get the $2 account if you just want it for posting

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by topicaltapioca View Post
    So, really? You can upload all you want for such a small amount?

Of course that seems like the way of usenet, considering it's a bad idea to hurt contributors.

If I bought the 200gb for $25, I could upload all I want with that one and use it as a fill-in?
    You betcha! In fact, just to make sure, I e-mailed support to ask them and they said it was true. I guess posting by users really does not cost them that much, if anything really. Using it for fills is a good idea. I think most news readers let you set up two servers so if something isnt available on one it will failover to the next to get it.
    Last edited by hdjunky; 09-03-2009 at 10:19 PM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6

Smile

Awesome, I just talked with blocknews regarding this also, they gave the OK, so I'm going to get in with a couple friends and buy a few block accounts to share as fill-ins, with all the money I'm saving with Astraweb and all. (Was with Giganews.)

We'll have some EXTREME FILL-IN ACTION.

Never needed it with Astraweb, but it couldn't hurt in the long to infinite run.

Are blocknews and usenetnews independent of one another?

Don't want to be doubling up on the same server farm.

Now if only Giganews offered block accounts ... of course, then everyone would just use them to fill-in.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    dutchmaster420's Avatar God's Son
    yes most to all usenet providers allow unlimted posting with no time limits on block accounts..so if you dont dl your good to go

I still dont understand from your op why not just use astraweb to upload also if your just going to pay for another provider?

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by topicaltapioca View Post
    Are blocknews and usenetnews independent of one another?

Don't want to be doubling up on the same server farm.
    blocknews and usenetNOW.net are one and the same, just each website sells two different types of accounts.

blocknews and usenet-NEWS.net are completely separate.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    blocknews/usenetnow resell a service called readnews.com

usenet-news.net resells Highwinds.

So an account with each will give you two different backends to grab your files from.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Sounds good to me, we'll buy one of each and live happily ever after.

Thanks folks.