Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Procrastination. Help.

Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    This is a serious question so please serious responses only. (Drawing room duh)

How do I stop procrastinating ALL THE TIME.

I swear on nights I would have 5-6 assignments that are weeks overdue, and yet somehow manage to put them off till the next day by surfing web, watching youtube, playing piano, playing sports, playing games, etc etc. Just anything as long as I don't have to do school e my marks are dropping, but whenever I'd actually have to do something I'd just procrastinate.work.

I'd say to myself it's only after school, I'll play a bit right now there's plenty of time.

Then next thing I know it's dinner time, and after dinner I'd get really lazy and put it off till bedtime.

Then I'd tell myself to stay up late and finish the project that's due the next day, but I end up sitting in front of my comp playing more games.

Finally it's 3 am in the morning when I finally start the project and I'd get it done at 6 am and get 1 hr of sleep and can't function at all the next day.

The cycle repeats over and over again, and I'd say to myself so many times I gotta get off my fat lazy ass becaus

Really I'm quite desperate at my lack of willpower, maybe I've a disease or something. I need professional help. but this will do for now.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    I knew you'd realise that soon. Im in the same boat too. :\

Hows bateman man?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Let me think about it.

I may eventually get back to you about this...

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    gROD's Avatar DEEP stats BT Rep: +3
    get out during the day... excersize.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler View Post
    This is a serious question so please serious responses only. (Drawing room duh)

How do I stop procrastinating ALL THE TIME.

I swear on nights I would have 5-6 assignments that are weeks overdue, and yet somehow manage to put them off till the next day by surfing web, watching youtube, playing piano, playing sports, playing games, etc etc. Just anything as long as I don't have to do school e my marks are dropping, but whenever I'd actually have to do something I'd just procrastinate.work.

I'd say to myself it's only after school, I'll play a bit right now there's plenty of time.

Then next thing I know it's dinner time, and after dinner I'd get really lazy and put it off till bedtime.

Then I'd tell myself to stay up late and finish the project that's due the next day, but I end up sitting in front of my comp playing more games.

Finally it's 3 am in the morning when I finally start the project and I'd get it done at 6 am and get 1 hr of sleep and can't function at all the next day.

The cycle repeats over and over again, and I'd say to myself so many times I gotta get off my fat lazy ass becaus

Really I'm quite desperate at my lack of willpower, maybe I've a disease or something. I need professional help. but this will do for now.
    It's just a question of self-control.

You need to do the unpleasant stuff first, and then give yourself the fun stuff afterwards, as a reward.

If you can, break down the unpleasant stuff into smaller bite-size chunks, so they don't seem to bad.

If you can manage to do this successfully, then let me know how you've done it. I think everyone procrastinates to some extent. The difference between winners and losers is just taking a deep breath and getting stuck in to what has to be done.

In work now, over the next 2 weeks I have to write 6 Reports using Crystal Decisions. Bunch of fucking arse, it's the worst part of my job. But at the end of the day the sooner I do it, the sooner I can get on to more fun stuff. However, here I am on FST as usual...

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    If your school library stays open after school. Go there and do your your homework. If possible, dont leave until you have completed it. There should be Tutor help available in the library, if you need it. Speak to your class Tutor, that is what he is paid for.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    If your school library stays open after school. Go there and do your your homework.
    I agree, I get most of my work done at the library as I get too distracted at home. I'm fortunate that my uni library is open 24/7. Recently I've been using my work's office on a sunday to work on my dissertation which has been going quite well, just get away from the toys and you'll be more focused on the task(s) at hand.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    Here's an article I've procrastinated. Tell me if it's any good.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/articles...astination.htm

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa
    If you can, break down the unpleasant stuff into smaller bite-size chunks, so they don't seem to bad.
    Just like a bittorrent client .

All this is good advice, although I fear it will be wasted . I would suggest you seek psychiatric help, as being addicted to anything, needs professional help.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    I would suggest you seek psychiatric help, as being addicted to anything, needs professional help.
    Don't be so wet. All you need to beat an addiction is willpower and strength of character.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast