Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: China shoots down satellite

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Skizo

Does the US have geo-stationary spy satellites over China? (Not sure myself just asking) but if they do then China might well want to develop such a capability.

The US like any big power likes to have a monoploy and tends to grumble if anyone plays catch up. I am not sure that China will take much notice of the grumbles to be honest.

Although Europe comes in for criticism from the US for not spending huge sums on defence when we did put together a rather neat spy satellite package of our own, which has a higher resolution than the current now quite elderly Pentagon system. the Pentagon said it was "unhelpful"

in Europe we were followed by
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Billy, you seem to think the world is a fair place. You have this wild notion that "gollygeewillickers, everyone should be on even footing no matter what."

Do you think Iran, Iraq, Syria, Jordan, and Egypt should have this capability too? How about long range nuclear capability?

Your country, Australia, lodged a protest too.

I really wish (after I'm dead and long gone of course) that the US and it's allies would take a hands off approach with this stuff and let these things take it's course.

"If the US has it, they should be able to have it" is your logic.

I'm not saying the world would fall flat on it's ass but I'm saying it'll very "fair", like you want it.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post
    Billy, you seem to think the world is a fair place. You have this wild notion that "gollygeewillickers, everyone should be on even footing no matter what."

Do you think Iran, Iraq, Syria, Jordan, and Egypt should have this capability too? How about long range nuclear capability?

I really wish (after I'm dead and long gone of course) that the US and it's allies would take a hands off approach with this stuff and let these things take it's course.

I'm not saying the world would fall flat on it's ass but I'm saying it'll very "fair", like you want it.
    The USA thinks that it is OK for Israel to have this capbility. Why the change in attitude for them(Israel)?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Did China notify surrounding nations, UN, anyone that it would be launching an interstellar missile?
    That would be a dopey thing to do, considering there's no such thing as an interstellar missile.
    interstellar - "to be among or between the stars" A missile in space is "among the stars". Fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by biggles
    Skizo

Does the US have geo-stationary spy satellites over China? (Not sure myself just asking) but if they do then China might well want to develop such a capability.

The US like any big power likes to have a monoploy and tends to grumble if anyone plays catch up. I am not sure that China will take much notice of the grumbles to be honest.

Although Europe comes in for criticism from the US for not spending huge sums on defence when we did put together a rather neat spy satellite package of our own, which has a higher resolution than the current now quite elderly Pentagon system. the Pentagon said it was "unhelpful"

I'm not sure either, but I wouldn't blame them having them, nor would I blame any country for setting up such defensive measures.

yo

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post

The USA thinks that it is OK for Israel to have this capbility. Why the change in attitude for them(Israel)?
    The USA also thinks it is OK for the UK to have it. What's your point?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by biggles
    Skizo

I'm not sure either, but I wouldn't blame them having them, nor would I blame any country for setting up such defensive measures.
    If a spy satellite sends you back information which enables you to target your interstellar missiles on military bases and such, then it's more of an offensive measure than a defensive one

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    MCHeshPants420's Avatar Fake Shemp
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post

That would be a dopey thing to do, considering there's no such thing as an interstellar missile.
    interstellar - "to be among or between the stars" A missile in space is "among the stars". Fuck off.

It was a ballistic missile.
    Last edited by MCHeshPants420; 01-19-2007 at 03:36 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Billy, you seem to think the world is a fair place. .
    And you seem to think the US owns the whole fucking planet and the space that surrounds it ... so what's your point?

Why not, what business is it of yours?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    I just went for an interstellar walk down the shop.

Interstellar - "to be among or between the stars". The shop is on earth and that's "among the stars". Fuck off.

===

The passage of the missile, or my walk, would have to be between two stars (or, more correctly, between two solar systems) for it to be interstellar.

Think of it like an intercontinental flight. It's not intercontinental if it's from Washington to LA, because even tho' technically it's flying in airspace that's between the continents of Asia and Europe, it's not flying to a different continent, but it is intercontinental if it's from Washington to Cardiff.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHeshPants420 View Post
    Good enough for the Hall of Fame?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast