Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My ISP is really cracking down. Can I do anything about it?

X's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    cox eh.... in the United states? and what state if you dont mind

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    So pretty much, I just need a more lenient ISP? Is it enough to simply change the download name of the file before it's dropped onto my computer? Also, does anyone know how the MPAA or whatever actually patrols bit torrent downloads or how they can even do that?
    Last edited by jesusf65an; 01-20-2007 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Don't want people knowing where I'm from, I guess...

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    i.dragonfly's Avatar -======//OvO BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Quote Originally Posted by jesusf65an View Post
    So pretty much, I just need a more lenient ISP? Is it enough to simply change the download name of the file before it's dropped onto my computer? Also, does anyone know how the MPAA or whatever actually patrols bit torrent downloads or how they can even do that?
    It's how bittorrent works - the tracker will publish your IP to all the clients that are sharing the pieces of the files you're downloading. Even if you change the filename of the torrent, the content will stay the same so they can still catch you. Basically the MPAA gets your IP from the tracker, then sends a letter to your ISP to track the IP to you.

Private trackers, like I said before, are less susceptible to MPAA monitoring, but are still somewhat vulnerable because of the nature of bittorrent. If you want to be completely safe, download from usenet/newsgroups. (See the newsgroup section here on FST)

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    does anyone else use Peer Guardian 2. i use it and i'm always amazed at how many "big brother" IPs it blocks. especially when i download really popular torrents (like the illusionist for example). it may not be a bulletproof solution but i'm sure it helps.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by jesusf65an View Post
    Cox is my ISP. I have never gotten in trouble with them over music. I've gotten enormous amounts of music without any problem, but when it comes to games or TV shows, that's where I get "caught." Though I have been using bit torrents for many months (and gnutella for even longer), I have gotten all of my downloads from public sites such as btjunkie.com. I am honestly not familiar with private trackers. Can anyone fill me in on what private trackers are, and what the advantages are? I know it's kind of simple, but apparently my many months of using Azureus are not enough experience...
    Switch to private trackers for sure.

I couldn't help but have a wee chuckle at the name of your ISP Cox? Aye ditch them if you can, and remember about that encryption thing as well.

As someone else mentioned, Peerguardian2 wouldn't hurt as well.

Right, everyone enough is enough GET COX OUT NOW!

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    What is a good bittorrent program with encryption? In addition to that, can I use PeerGuardian along with any of these bittorrent programs? Finally, will any "big brother" activity be able to detect that I'm using encryption and/or PeerGuardian2?

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Utorrent has encryption, but so does Az at least I used to when I used it...

Also I should be clear, i think encryption only helps if your ISP is throttling BT traffic. So your ISP can't tell if it's BT traffic or not...therefore cannot throttle it. It won't stop people seeing your IP address when you connect to a torrent swarm.

Again I must emphasise the usage of Private trackers = better anonymity.

No one will know if you use PG2 it's purley an IP blocker.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +5
    Bittorrent client encryption is not designed to circumvent all the riaa/mpaa stuff. It's to avoid the throttling of torrent traffic by isps (aka as traffic shapping). It masks the torrent traffic as if it would be ordinary http traffic. Both utorrent and azureus have that feature.

I dont know how effective peerguardian is, but it sure doesnt hurt. And i use it all the time. You can also use ipfilters. They are very common in emule and you can enable them in utorrent (i dont know about other clients).

Obviously, you should stay away from public trackers. Well, thats the first thing. I dont think that your isp is the problem. You can have the same problems with any other isp.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    I'm honestly having trouble enabling encryption in Azureus. Any tips? I'm using the latest version.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    I have my connection maxed out 24/7 @ 1000KB/s off of TL. PeerGuardian will block 20-30 IP's per second and the hits never stop. I also have 13 of the 21 lists active just for the hell of it. I rarely browse with my download machine so I can afford to have my security settings very high. I'll get hit by Time Warner Telecom, Sony, MPAA, FBI, you name it.

I've been downloading off of torrents with Comcast for over 2 years now and I've never received a letter or warning.

Stay off of those public trackers whenever possible. The private ones are not 100% safe either but you're less likely to get spotted. Just get into a decent private tracker and keep PG active and cross your fingers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast