Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Person in U.S. Convicted for Spam E-mailing

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Jeffery Goodin from Los Angeles is the first person in the U.S. to be criminally convicted of spam e-mailing. At 45 years of age, Goodin was found guilty of sending millions of e-mails that fooled users into giving out personal information. He was convicted under the 2003 CAN-SPAM Act, which makes it illegal for marketers to send out false or misleading information to users.

Goodin is being convicted of spam, and ten other counts that include wire fraud and unauthorized access to AOL accounts and company trademarks for illegal purposes. Prosecutors provided evidence to a jury that Goodin also compromised AOL accounts in order to make it appear as if the e-mails were being sent from AOL's billing department. The e-mails told users that if they did not update their information via a website, their accounts would be closed.

Jeffery Goodin is to be sentenced on June 11th of 2007 and faces up to 101 years in prison. Refresh my memory; how many years of jail-time does a murderer receive?

Source: Neowin.Net
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    BANNED BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    great, honestly he should read spam messages till the very end of his life

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    good for him

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Shadowfire's Avatar catch-22 BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    W00t. More spammers should be jailed like this.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Yeah if this happened more often, the world would be a beter place

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    Jeffery Goodin is to be sentenced on June 11th of 2007 and faces up to 101 years in prison. Refresh my memory; how many years of jail-time does a murderer receive?
    How many college educations did he take? How many extra years are these victims going to have to work instead of retiring because of lost money?

You've obviously never been the victim of identity theft.

I hope this asshole gets what's coming to him.

yo

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    I hope this is a sign of things to come. I mean, the world is truly a messed up place when people can become millionaires by sending completely unsolicited emails to people.

I don't necessarily want this guy to rot in jail for the rest of his live, but hopefully this will serve as a stern warning for other spammers out there.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    I hope he gets cornholed.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    I hate spammers - he got what he deserved, may he rot in hell... :-(

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    You know, this is all just a little too funny. You all are talking about setting a precedent for these spammers by sending this guy to jail in hopes that all future spammers will follow. However, in case you foregot, THIS IS A FILE SHARING FORUM!! Everyone here is pretty much doing the same exact thing. We are stealing by means of unethical internet use.
    Don't be so quick to judge.
    Last edited by mbucari1; 01-25-2007 at 08:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast