Thread: Is There A Program To Compress Files

Poster
    check my other topic.

since i guess my other situation isnt possible here is what i need help with. i have about 475 MB of songs i dl over the last 2 days and need a way of transferring them over to my shared folder at home. or is there a program that will let me compress them into a folder so it might be saved onto a floppy disk?

since it is a work pc they dont have any burners and i cant open them up to transfer them to a diff hd.

can anyone help?
    PLEASE help me get my Free IPOD! my brother got his 4 days ago and i need help with referrals. the screensavers just aired a story and it works. Just use my referral link and i suggest the 2 week blockbuster trial. you won't owe anything! http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=10154369

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    One floppy is a little too ambious for 475MB. But programs like WinZip or WinRAR can span (split archives) on to several floppies but 475MB is a lot of floppies even if you manage to compress it to half size!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Theres loads of compressors eg winzip and winrar(better) that will let u span multiple disks and would theoretically allow you to take ur mp3s home, but I don't think mp3 compresses that well so your looking at your 475MB spanning around at least 200 floppy disks(which would take about 3 hours to do at each end). My advice would be find another method of taking them home, though I'm not sure what. (Perhaps emailing them to yourself little by little if u have an email account that is capable of holding a lotand if u have broadband at home (i'm guessing u don't otherwise u would have downloaded them at home?)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    A hardware solution is to buy an USB Flash Pen Drive. A 64MB version will run you about $25.00-$35.00 while a 512MB version is about $150.00. You just insert it into the USB port and it's seen as another hardrive.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    how about messaging software. i know you can send files using instang messaging but most dont allow sending files over 1 MB and most of my mp3s ar 5-7 MB. i also keep hearing about IRC and FTP. whats that? or can anyone name a good IM program that could allow file sending of more than 5MB?
    PLEASE help me get my Free IPOD! my brother got his 4 days ago and i need help with referrals. the screensavers just aired a story and it works. Just use my referral link and i suggest the 2 week blockbuster trial. you won't owe anything! http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=10154369

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    If you got a good connection. Just use BulletProof FTP Server and start an FTP server at home. Then simply upload your MP3's that way.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    OK i've set up a bulletproof ftp server and want to test it out to see if someone can access it before i go home and try it there. does anyone want to test with me?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    i got an archos multimedia jukebox Archos homepage

This lets you not only watch divx, mp3, jpegs etc where ever you want but alos it can act as a 20gig hard drive and it plugs into the pc by usb, usb2 or firewire