Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My ISP is really cracking down. Can I do anything about it?

Unsure

So my ISP has shut off my internet twice accusing me of downloading copyrighted files. in one case, it was a PC game. In the other instance, it was an episode of a television show. Their message indicated to me that the copyright holders are patrolling the bittorrents and that they are the ones who reported my downloading of these files.

Does anyone know if it is possible to circumvent this problem or to download anonymously without being tracked? If I get caught downloading one more time, my ISP will shut me off, because they have a three-strikes and you're out policy.

By the way, I use Azureus as my client.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    StevenVD's Avatar Power User BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    change isp
    "Normal" is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work, driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for, in order to get to the job that you need so you can pay for the clothes, car, and the house that you leave empty all day in order to afford to live in it.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    There is an option to enable encryption, (dunno where it's located in Azureus), that might help...

Changing ISP's would probably be a good option as well, if available.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Which ISP is it?
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    i.dragonfly's Avatar -======//OvO BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    and which trackers are you using? public and/or private?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    3 Wheels Of Tazio's Avatar Who Needs Wheels?
    As others have said if you have the option to change isp then do it, it's the best option imo

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    More than likely hes using public sites or some very easy to get in private sites (Open signup sites with a large number of users.)

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Cox is my ISP. I have never gotten in trouble with them over music. I've gotten enormous amounts of music without any problem, but when it comes to games or TV shows, that's where I get "caught." Though I have been using bit torrents for many months (and gnutella for even longer), I have gotten all of my downloads from public sites such as btjunkie.com. I am honestly not familiar with private trackers. Can anyone fill me in on what private trackers are, and what the advantages are? I know it's kind of simple, but apparently my many months of using Azureus are not enough experience...

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    i.dragonfly's Avatar -======//OvO BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Quote Originally Posted by jesusf65an View Post
    ...I have gotten all of my downloads from public sites such as btjunkie.com. I am honestly not familiar with private trackers. Can anyone fill me in on what private trackers are, and what the advantages are? I know it's kind of simple, but apparently my many months of using Azureus are not enough experience...
    The short answer is, because they're smaller, they don't attract the RIAA/MPAA's attention as much. Some private trackers have higher speeds than the public trackers.

See more answers in this thread.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    walczanin's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    Some private trackers have higher speeds than the public trackers...........
    ///\\\\
    well i would say in 95% private trackers have betters peeds then open ones

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast