Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Got A Call From My Isp Today, About Piracy...

Originally posted by MaxAndig@21 May 2003 - 07:50
    Only, if the fragment is in no - whatever - correlation to the copyrighted file, they have no proof of copyright infringement and will finally loose the case.
    Sorry, I got lost on the last sentence.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Heres what peer guardian does...

1. Mediaforce, baytsp, some asshole searches for "matrix reloaded ctp"
    2. Say 3 sources show up, schimiggy, reality, and jibbler.
    3. If media force attempts to download it frin schmiggy, from one of their "discovered ips" on the pg list, they wont be able to, cuz all transmissions from them, will be blocked like a firewall does, on schmiggys pc.
    4. If reality isnt running pg, and the same person, same ip, trys getting that file, they would be able to download it, etc, and possibly verify its validity, fake or not.

now my question is, they cant really do shit just pulling stuff up in a search, because they havent verified what the file is, and surely it wouldnt hold up in court would it? and shouldnt my isp support in that matter... hey, so u have seen that file on his hard drive, do u know if its real or not? no they didnt, cuz they didnt download it from me....

but apparently they think, just cuz it shows in a search, you are busted...?? and the isp seemingly supports that tactic, to an extent

the same question applies the kids recent busted for swappin on the college networks, and running network search engines, which seemingly would be legit, cept for copyrighted materials... did they confiscate these kids pcs, and verify every file they charged them with, and show they were really copyrighted works? maybe they renamed a couple thousand files, just for fun, i know it seems silly, but in all seriousness... shouldnt they have to?

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    Originally posted by MaxAndig@21 May 2003 - 01:50
    Schmiggy:

They don`t need the download of a complete movie.

It`s sufficient for them to have a very, very small fragmented pice of the movie. It`s very easy to compare that fragment against the complete file and find out that the fragment is really a small part of the copyrighted material.

Copyright laws do not define how long a pirated piece of copyrighted material has to be!

Only, if the fragment is in no - whatever - correlation to the copyrighted file, they have no proof of copyright infringement and will finally loose the case.
    but see, their current tactic often doesnt involve even downloading the material... i was readin about the riaa's current thing, merely listing those on searches who apparently had illegal files, and messaging them... i just read something, on some net site, of a person getting having some file on their hard drive, that had a name of some copyrighted music file, and it was a wav or mp3 also, and the RIAA sent them of those infamous kazaa msgs they are running now, when the file he had was totally legal...

if mediaforce used a similiar tactic, they would have nothing... and i can vouche for my downloads... as i dont erase them till viewing them, no one downloaded a bit of the file from me....

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    My understanding, though I thought, given the workings of KaZaa, was that until the download starts they cannot extract an IP. So they would have to download and then pull the IP.

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    well, i suppose my brother could have been messing with kazaa, but when i checked my dls, it didnt show up... maybe he enabled speed up for something, and thus, cleared them out at somepoint... i dunno any other explanation... as i never function as a supernode..

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    Then I guess it stands to reason, they must download to extract your IP. I never keep the "clear uploads" on, so I can see what's going out.

BTW, anyone know a good SOCKS PROXY5? I am becoming more interested lately.

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    same here on the socks

and i do think paul should look into contacting method about puting pg in with klite....

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@21 May 2003 - 08:21
    and i do think paul should look into contacting method about puting pg in with klite....
    Please state so in my POST, if I get enough response I will force it on someone, or request the makers of Peer Gaurdian make a "pg.dll" file that can be loaded exactly like KaZap was.

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    i guess overall, i dont like where this is leading...

i can see it now, in court, prosecutor: "well so so and the mediaforce, says he had this, at this time, heres the logs, etc... jury, he must be guilty!"

seriously, media force isn the fuckin fbi, the police, etc... how does what they claim, or anyone besides those that enforce the laws in this country, have any bearing, or carry weight?

if the "league of women who think men are assholes" go to court, charging some guy with harrassment, and or rape... they arent automatically guilty... has to be some legal determination/investigation of guilt... by some who actually enforce the laws...

not some third party with financial interests...

catch my drift?

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    Yup, though it all remains to be seen, though I figure we will see out of court settlements as were offered to the 4 colledge kids, as this brings more attention and hype for the campaign.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast