Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: soundmax digital audio problem

popwar's Avatar Popwar
    I have Intel 82801 BA/BAM Ac'97 onboard digital sound, when i update it, it updates it to SOUNDMax Digital Audio but when i record with the update it sounds like im underwater or sumtn. if i dont update its fine. i attached a short clip to let u listen.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Have you tried updating it with the correct drivers? Soundmax drivers obviously aren't the proper one for it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Look how many their are did you get it from the Intel site ?

http://www.softlookup.com/driveauthor.asp?id=2251

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    no i got it from windows update

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    intel doesnt find no search for 82801 BA/BAM AC'97 . :/

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Try http://www.driverguide.com/, they've got 2 marked specifically for Windows XP, one marked "all Windows 2000" which may also work with XP, and 3 marked win95/98 which almost certainly won't work for you.

Requires free registration which is why I can't supply a direct link.

Once registered, simply select sound cards, select manufacturer=intel, search for 82801ba.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    im already registered for that site. i actually downloaded a driver from there earlier. i think it fixed my sound too but instead of the sayn Intel 82801BA/BAM ac'97 audio controller in my device manager it says Avance AC'97 Audio.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    That's probably because Avance made a lot of boards using various audio chips, and seem to have sorted out most of the problems with the drivers. The name is simply a field in the .inf file.

In comparison, the chip makers seem to wash their hands of the difficulties, laying any blame for problems at the door of the board makers. Intel aren't alone in taking this course.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +4
    If i am not mistaken,intel does not make audio controllers. Try not to use the drivers from windows update,cos they are generic drivers

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by unholyman View Post
    If i am not mistaken,intel does not make audio controllers. Try not to use the drivers from windows update,cos they are generic drivers
    Intel embed audio controllers into their southbridge chips, just like most other chipset manufacturers, whether they actually design that part of the chip themselves or not, but since they sell the chips to board manufacturers they rely on the board manufacturers to provide drivers. Finding the drivers from the motherboard makers might be an alternative solution.

I take your point about windows update, although it is not entirely accurate. Generic drivers are only provided if there no driver is available for a specific release of a controller.

Worse still, it is not unknown for Windows Update to provide out of date drivers. One instance I remember from last year is that they had mis-numbered the version of a driver. The manufacturer released a new version, 1.42. Windows Update offered version 1.34, at least 2 years out of date and full of bugs, but they had misnumbered it as version 1.43; the numbers may be wrong but you get the general idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast