Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Catholic Church loses fight to discriminate ..

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    One thing in all this that has not been broached, yet. What about the mental abuse to the child in the adopted home. What is the child going to think when their parents are having sex or just petting? Please dont tell me they are not going to notice.
    You go from bad to worse.

NEWSFLASH!!

Homophobia is not inherent -- it's taught by bigots and learned by the impressionable!

The children will have been brought up by a gay couple so they won't be homophobic. They won't be arsed if their parents display affection for one another.

If an older child is adopted, then I imagine that he or she will already have been told that this may happen and will be prepared for it - cos, like, that's what adoption agencies do.

'Mental abuse'
    I'll do the jokes. I was thinking about the younger children being adopted, obviously. As Biggles says, the older children will be given the option. We hope.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    One thing in all this that has not been broached, yet. What about the mental abuse to the child in the adopted home. What is the child going to think when their parents are having sex or just petting? Please dont tell me they are not going to notice.
    I think you know I disagree with the "abuse" premise, however, again I don't think that would be solely a homosexual problem. Many parents will have heard their children tell them to "get a room"

That and we are just talking affection here, not actually having sex in front of the child......right?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    I think you know I disagree with the "abuse" premise, however, again I don't think that would be solely a homosexual problem. Many parents will have heard their children tell them to "get a room"

That and we are just talking affection here, not actually having sex in front of the child......right?
    I should hope that no one would even think of having sex in front of their children. It is not be nice only being able to think about sex.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Insofar as I've been able to follow this thread, I was curious about how anyone would judge the viability/desirability of either of these two situations relative to the other:

1. An infant/child is adopted into the loving home of a heterosexual couple of Catholic faith.

2. An infant/child is adopted into the loving home of a homosexual male or female couple of no-or-indeterminate faith.

Discuss...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Why not offer a choice between gay/straight catholics?

Why should faith or lack of have any bearing whatsoever if it came to a choice between two candidates? (which given the shortage of candidates willing to take on an adoption is unlikely)
    Having faith one way or another doesn't equate to being more or less wholesome person or a good or bad parent.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4

Why should faith or lack of have any bearing whatsoever if it came to a choice between two candidates?
    I'm only guessing here, however I would venture that a Catholic adoption society would give preference to Christians over non-Christians.

Again this is not a value judgement, it's just that for them to take any other position would be ludicrous.

And also, once again, I suspect a Muslim adoption ... you get the point.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Shall we flip it?

One's a loving home with a homosexual Catholic couple.
    One's a loving home with a heterosexual atheist couple.

Really, the only qualifier that's relevant is the loving home.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor View Post
    Shall we flip it?

One's a loving home with a homosexual Catholic couple.
    One's a loving home with a heterosexual atheist couple.

Really, the only qualifier that's relevant is the loving home.

I take your point, however what we are talking about is adoption agencies deciding upon who should be allowed to adopt children. Your scenario can really only be after this has taken place and sufficient time has passed to establish whether it is a loving home or not. Therefore any adoption agency must have a set of criteria, to try to evaluate whether or not prospective parents are suitable. This is true whether it has religious affiliations or not.

It seems obvious to me that any religious organisation would use it's own teachings as a major part of that vetting process. I can't really see how they would do anything else. Whether that's "right" or not is another matter.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post

Why should faith or lack of have any bearing whatsoever if it came to a choice between two candidates?
    I'm only guessing here, however I would venture that a Catholic adoption society would give preference to Christians over non-Christians.

Again this is not a value judgement, it's just that for them to take any other position would be ludicrous.

And also, once again, I suspect a Muslim adoption ... you get the point.
    While I understand what you are saying with regard to specific religious preferences of specific religious agencies the post I was responding to made no assumption as to the religious status of the adoption agency.

He did however frame it in a way that suggested there were no gay catholics, which is untrue.
    Added to this question
    Why not offer a choice between gay/straight catholics?
    why not ask to choose between a gay catholic couple and a heterosexual couple of no or indeterminate faith?

That's why (along with the reason I gave) I asked what faith had to do with it.
    I appreciate you may point out that even though there are gay people of faith that it's still "sin", but "sin" or not living by the doctrines is not unique to gay people.

Either way any agency has to work within government rules and guidelines, it's not an unregulated system.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Should the natural parents have any say in what sort of home the child ends up in?
    Ok this is not always possible and takes no account of the reason the child is up for adoption in the first place.

I am thinking about cases where the parent was unable to raise the child, for example through terminal illness with no family.....It does happen. In these cases I think the wishes of the parent should be honoured.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast