Thread: time to lay low =(

Anyways, I just made a new user to mask myself because it's time for me to lay low for a while. Unfortunately, I received a warning letter from my ISP, just a warning letter but I don't feel like pushing my luck for a while. It's my own fault that I didn't check to see if my PeerGuardian was turned on. Anyways, I got caught for uploading a file on demonoid. I left the file uploading for about a month now and I guess someone released the torrent to a public tracker or something because when I downloaded the file it wasn't an external file.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    X's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    How common is it to have this happen in the US?

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Just make sure you always have peerguardian on, word of advice. I checked my logs and I had peerguardian on the night before I they got me. They only got me for a second but that's enough for them. The letter shows time and last time seen online. It seems to be happening a lot lately, MPAA has been getting smarter. Mostly it's just warning emails and letters, but still once you get one its time to lay low.

Just use private trackers, demonoid is getting pretty bad lately, I've see fake files being uploaded on it recently. Like 10,000 seeders etc.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by ooxxoo View Post
    Just make sure you always have peerguardian on, word of advice. I checked my logs and I had peerguardian on the night before I they got me. They only got me for a second but that's enough for them. The letter shows time and last time seen online. It seems to be happening a lot lately, MPAA has been getting smarter. Mostly it's just warning emails and letters, but still once you get one its time to lay low.

Just use private trackers, demonoid is getting pretty bad lately, I've see fake files being uploaded on it recently. Like 10,000 seeders etc.
    PeerGuardian doesn't matter as much as people would like to think it does. I've never used it a day in my life. I am careful about sites that I download from though. that's why I use only use private trackers and actually prefer the smaller, lesser known trackers. Remember, this is why there are invites - So you can invite people you know and trust, not to trade to some unknown member who could potentially be a RIAA employee, etc.

Just out of curiosity, what was the letter warning you of? If it was from your ISP, these are typically about bandwidth usage and the like.

yo

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ooxxoo View Post
    I guess someone released the torrent to a public tracker or something

demonoid is a public tracker. as a non-member you can download three torrent files a day without an account. anyone can connect to the torrents there if they have the .torrent file to start.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    @skizo, the letter was just warning me that a copyright company reported that i had possession of a copyrighted file and the copyright company just tells the ISP to make sure i remove the file and take appropriate action and remove my service. The letter from the ISP goes like this "I am sorry to inform you blah blah blah..., but we might have to disclose your personal information if they decide to bring this into court."

@lysine, true demonoid is public and private. The letter stated my torrent was from another tracker =(.

---
    Right now I'm debating if I should call them and be straight up and just be like I'm sorry and I deleted the file and I won't do it again or make up some excuse then say the stuff. Or ignore it but lay low of course.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    They would assume you deleted the file so just lay low!!!
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Patriot foreve's Avatar William Wallace
    I am glad we don't have MPAA in my country and sorry for u man and hope u takecare next time

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Demonoid is well known for being a compromised site. Ive known about mpaa feds and riaa being on that site for well over a year now. Ive even posted about it. You might as well just download off mininova or similiar while your at it.

All you have to do is change isps. They ussually only press the issue if your caught 2 times on the same isp.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    BANNED BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    thnks my GOD i dont have MPAA in my country too ..........but MPAA sucks it closed isohunt .i hate it