Thread: PC failure - urgent help appreciated

Poster
    For the last few days my computer has been "failing".

More specifically. I can be working, and all of a sudden. The monitors go off - and display "going to sleep". So does, the soundcard. Sound suddenly goes off. But the base looks like its running fine. The only thing i can do is press the button on the case and restart.

I've also noticed when windows it loading, it can suddenly restart and restart again until i eventually get to the login screen.

And then eventually, within a time frame of 10 seconds to 2 hours. The monitors and sound will just cut off. Im not sure if the computer is attempting to display anything, i can't tell.

Been running a fresh install for around 2 months with no problems until now.

Please help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    I've had something similar happen due to a dodgy psu. Especially the windows loading, restart and restart again part. Have you another psu that you could try in your system to see if that sorts it?
    I've also had a graphics card that used to shut down my pc...

Could try removing components and seeing if it still happens, swap psu, try without soundcard in (reads as if you have a seperate soundcard rather than onboard) does seem hardware related to me... Sure someone more knowledgable will come along though...
    Last edited by Wozz; 01-26-2007 at 11:50 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    test your power supply for stable flow...seems like its not being stable...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    My local store only changed the Power supply and fan late last year as the old one broke (pc was completly dead).

Is there any software to check the power supply?

Thanks very much.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    There is no software check of a PSU.
    The most conclusive test would be to simply swap in a known good unit and see what happened.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Another thing that strikes me as something to look at is cooling - check that your heatsinks aren't clogged by dust.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    This time go for a good PSU. Bet the shop put a cheapo in late last year.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Turn off Windows' feature to auto-restart on errors, then you'll get a BSOD and error code instead of restarting when it has trouble booting.
    This will give you an 0x... error code (Google for help with the code) and possiibly point you to what is causing the reboots.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +4
    I had that problem myself. It is either due to the power supply a stated above. Or it can be your motherboard,cpu or hd dying. To detect if it is the harddisk dying,go to the harddisk manufacturer site and download its diagnostic tools.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    lol you basically listed all the parts...except your forget to mention the ram...