Thread: Who knows about PS?

Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I am thinking of upgrading my video card to a SAPPHIRE Radeon X1950PRO AGP.

I have one concern, I have read that your ps needs to provide 30A on the +12V rail. I am looking at the specifications sheet on my power supply and I am stumped, I have no idea who to read it.

Can someone help me out, does my Demon 480W PSU proved 30a on the +12v rail? And how did you figure this out?

manufacture's site
    http://www.powmax.com/

AC Input 115/230, 10A/6A, 60Hz/50Hz
    Max Load +3.3@28A, +5@38A, +12@17A, [email protected], [email protected], +5vsb@2A
    Last edited by Broken; 01-27-2007 at 07:07 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +4
    From your above specs,your +12V rail only provides 17A. Unless you have dual rails of +12v rails which each provide 17 A.
    Anyway,try not to get the sapphire brand,cos i heard that the fan is very noisy
    Last edited by unholyman; 01-27-2007 at 10:24 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    IMO the Demon range are a very poor example of PSUs.

They've increased the power rating by pushing up the power available on the 3.3V and 5V rails, at a time when power consumption on these rails is falling. In terms of usablility, the 400W (6100D) offering is far more suitable than the 480W version.

Depending on your processor, it could be using a large chunk of the 204W available on the 12V rail, and you may not have enough left for the graphics card.

Here's an example of total power consumption for some typical systems.
    http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/7417
    If you consider that most of that power will be from the 12V rail you can see that you could be in trouble with your current PSU.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +4
    Yah,agree with what lynx say. If you decide to just try with the old psu and this new gfx card,there is a possiblity that your mobo might be fried

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    DISABLED PRIVS
    yeh i agree to with the above.