Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case Fan Suggestions?

LilAznAccommodator's Avatar Celestial Seraph
    Dear Readers,

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a specific Fan to use for my computer. As it is really loud... I mean it has good airflow and all although it is semi enclosed in the corner of a desk.. But I don't think that would 'echo' the sound to be as loud as it is.. And also not sure if it isn't the cause of my fans BUT instead like my VideoCard Fan.. as I know my CPU Fan is silent unless I turn the speed UP to max... and the Vantec should be 'quiet' as it is a 'stealth model' hehe. Reason I can't check at the moment = HUGE hassle to take the computer out to make checks.. Dad custom built some strange thing to hold my computer int he corner of the desk(Have to see layout to understand) but yeah, makes it difficult to make modifications to my computer so I only do it when absolutely necessary ><)

Intake: 120mm (Vantec){Weird that when I put my ear up to it, it still sounds pretty loud...}
    Exhaust: 120mm
    SideFan: 80mm
    (Forget the brand of the other fans but they are cheap ones as hehe they have LED)
    CPU Fan/Heatsink: Zalmon CNPS7000B-CU)
    VideoCard Fan: ChainTech GeForce 7600GS, not sure how loud fan is)

But yeah so I am willing to replace the Case Fans but am not too sure which to go with and thought I'd ask you that have more knowledge than I do, and I do not need Fans with LED's although currently 2 of mine do but I don't care for them. And I was going through NewEgg but found out.. not sure which fan lasts the longestes 2Ball-Bearing/ Sleeve... But as I am posting it here I thought I would just ask you for a specific Fan I might be able to purchase via Retail Store(Preferred)/NewEgg{Had bad experience with recent purchase ><} that combines both a good price + low sound(dBa) and lastly lasts a long time.

Thank you.
    Last edited by LilAznAccommodator; 01-27-2007 at 08:26 AM.
    Credits to ChuNaku,Kazearashi,Kennethzzz,Kiyocchi,S4ku,Tanakachi and Tubster68:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +4
    Best casing fan that i know - Silverstone SFLEX. Full stop. Quiet and good air flow,but it is expensive

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Ehh not too sure but I checked newegg... any of these? Silverstone

Or did you mean Scythe?

PS: Were you recommending those for BOTH the 80mm + 120mm?
    Last edited by LilAznAccommodator; 01-27-2007 at 04:00 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Yate-Loons from Petra's.
    These are the lowCFM fans, they also make mediums and highs.
    Wonderful fans (I'm using the lowflow versions myself) and Petra's is a great etailer.
    I like them better than the Sythes and the Silverstones...both of which I also have.

Yeah, I gots me lots of fans.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    My case is This One

EXCEPT the back and front... it is meant for 1 120mm fan not 2 80mm, so I guess they changed the model a bit.. But yeah.. The back only difference is the 120mm instead of the 2 80mm fans. In other words the vents int he back of MY case is meant for a 120mm, and same with the front(intake), but int he pictures they show them for 80mm fans. Also... I don't have one of those 'Side-Airduct' tube thingy either.

So I am just looking to see if I can find quiet fans and knowing that I have 3 available areas to put them (1 120mm for intake/exhaust, 1 80mm for the side) then maybe it is okay if I got fans that don't have a high CFM or whatnot as I am going for quietness (As I don't overclock my computer or anything that exhausts it too much, I think)

Hard drives... 2 Seagate Barracuda's don't remember exact model though.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Does your case have those same restrictive tiny holes where the fan goes?

If so then it would greatly improve airflow and quietness to cut out that area and use a fan grill like this:

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Actually I forgot to mention I did replace the PSU because it died on me.. so there is a Grill on it just like that one.

EDIT: Misread the post... Ehh as I mentioned I don't have 2 80mm fans int he back, it is meant for just a 120mm and it is like a 'vent' not holes...

I was searching through Newegg and most of the 'silent' ones received bad reviews due to low RPM or CFM but I ran across these:
    120mm
    80mm

But of course I don't know much about how fans work and all so still needing your opinions.. And seeing retail stores that are near my area the best they sell is the Vantec Stealth that I already have.
    Last edited by LilAznAccommodator; 01-27-2007 at 07:17 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    There's a possibility that the fans are not your problem. You said your dad mounted the computer inside the desk, making it hard to open up. It could be that your dad's mounting is transmitting vibration thru the desk causing the sound of the PC to seem louder than it really is. Since you have to get in there to change fans you should have him check into using rubber grommets or something to supress the transmission of sound from the PC to the desk and use a rubber mat or old mouse pads under the PC to avoid transmitting sound from the PC's feet to the desk cabinets base.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Multiple slow fans are usually better than one fast fan, even if it is classed as "low noise".

An example:

Fan 1: 120mm fan rated at 60cfm, noise rating 28dBA.
    Fan 2: 120mm fan rated at 30cfm, noise rating 16dBA.
    To get roughly the same air movement you need 2 of fan 2, but the noise rating is not 32dBA, it is 19dBA. This assumes that the fans are running in parallel (ie both inlet or both exhaust).

However, if there are any obstructions to the airflow, such as badly designed vent holes or poor cable layout, then the performance of the low speed fans will be much more severely affected than the single high speed fan.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by LilAznAccommodator View Post
    and it is like a 'vent' not holes...

What exactly does that mean?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast