Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question from a noob

shosh's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    why do you guys prefer newsgroups over bittorrent. im an avid bittorrenter and dont understand how nzb work. from what i understand you have to pay money to these sites. im sure that you can get the same content from torrents without the cost. so why do you guys use this?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Some sites are free and some charge $10-15 in monthly fees.

Utilizing newsgroups allows you to 100% maximize your bandwidth and you don't have to "seed" back. No uploading at all.

yo

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    yep, for 25$ a month you get maximum bandwith + 90 days retention over terrabytes of data. No privacy issues no waittimes, no need to upload ... uhhhh ...

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by geen View Post
    yep, for 25$ a month you get maximum bandwith + 90 days retention over terrabytes of data. No privacy issues no waittimes, no need to upload ... uhhhh ...
    ...and no worries.

yo

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by shosh View Post
    why do you guys prefer newsgroups over bittorrent. im an avid bittorrenter and dont understand how nzb work. from what i understand you have to pay money to these sites. im sure that you can get the same content from torrents without the cost. so why do you guys use this?
    Newsgroups are great for reasons already mentioned. NZBs are very easy to use. After you find what you're looking for, download the NZB (it's essentially a list of files and where they are on the newsgroups), and usually it's opened automatically by your newsreader. You can add it to your queue and start downloading immediately... really nothing to it.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    ...and no worries.
    Dont tell them about incomplete files

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    And depending on your ISP you might have access to newsgroups already for free (quality will vary by ISP). Search your ISP's support section.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    1. Super fast. You will always max out your connection speeds.
    2. No waiting. Your downloads will start right away at full speed.
    3. No need to upload anything. You can if you want but its totally not nessessary.
    4. Secure. No need to worry about the RIAA/MPAA.
    5. Encryption. (Some providers like Giganews and Usenetserver encrypt the connection)

The price is about ten to fifteen dollars per month. Of course, different usenet providers have different prices.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    we should make a complete list altough someone posted a link comparing usenet to torrents which i havent visited. Could be usefull for all the torrent users who are thinking about switching to usenet.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by geen View Post
    we should make a complete list altough someone posted a link comparing usenet to torrents which i havent visited. Could be usefull for all the torrent users who are thinking about switching to usenet.
    I read this article a couple of weeks ago. I think it says it all:

http://www.slyck.com/story1376.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast