Thread: USB Wall Charger for my Zune

mikeco's Avatar Rossco's Manager
    i got this usb wall charger yesturday off ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...2061&rd=1&rd=1

and i cant get it to work with my zune i dont feel like paying £15 or whatever it is for the zunes proper wall charger and also having to have an american to english adaptor on it so i got that insted for just under £5.

its very small and seems realy nice but i just cant get it to work.

when i plug in my zune to it with the cable the light on the plug its self goes off... which from the ebay info for the item says its a power indecator.
    my zune doesnt even notice the charger screen doesnt light up or anything when it connects so its not noticing it at all.

says this on the plug:

* Input: AC100V-240V. 50Hz 130mA
    * Output: DC5.0V ± 5%. 500mA ± 50mA

any ideas on how i can get it to work?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    How many mA does the Zune player need?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    mikeco's Avatar Rossco's Manager
    im not sure cant find any offical info about it but found this at amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...796228-6036661

"Monster Smart Digital Charger technology delivers the precise charge your Zune requires 500mA maximum power output for fast charging while enjoying movies or music Supports 110v-240v AC power"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    The zune should be able to charge from a USB port, so there's enough current.

It's quite probable that the Zune requires a signal from the host to charge from the USB port, that's certainly the case with my phone (a windows smartphone).

If I connect my phone to a USB port without having ActiveSync installed then it won't charge. Similarly if I connect it to a USB charger which isn't intended for my phone then it doesn't charge from that either.

In my case, it requires a data signal, or an input on the Mini-USB-A Master pin, either of which tells it to charge. Obviously the Zune has a different data connector, but I suspect that something similar is going on.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    The zune should be able to charge from a USB port, so there's enough current.

It's quite probable that the Zune requires a signal from the host to charge from the USB port, that's certainly the case with my phone (a windows smartphone).

If I connect my phone to a USB port without having ActiveSync installed then it won't charge. Similarly if I connect it to a USB charger which isn't intended for my phone then it doesn't charge from that either.

In my case, it requires a data signal, or an input on the Mini-USB-A Master pin, either of which tells it to charge. Obviously the Zune has a different data connector, but I suspect that something similar is going on.
    That makes a lot of sense!