Thread: XP safe mode problem

raspberry1331's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    ive been wondering about this:

when im booting into safe mode my HD reverts to PIO mode (in normal mode it works perfectly in DMA-5). this way safe mode is extremely slow compared to normal mode. is safe mode meant to work this way (because of the restricted drivers), or is this something i should worry about?

thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I haven't thought to check whether Safe Mode purposefully accesses drives in PIO mode but I think it's logical.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    It probably is meant to work that way exactly like you said. Don't worry about it.

But why are you complaining about safe mode's slowness? If you need to use it that often then your computer has some problems.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    raspberry1331's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    i only needed safe mode once because of a virus, and virus checking took ages. i was quite surprised, and discovered that this was because of the HD being in PIO mode. and i began to wonder if this is normal.

thanks for your help, it does seem that this was meant to be this way, i checked all 3 computers we have home.