Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its getting hot in here...

Panther's Avatar lost BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Isnt it built in harddrives that if the hdd goes over surtain temperature the computer will shut down? and if so what is it in degrees?
    My computer shut down yesterday and when Iturn it back on one hdd was 61 degrees celcius (142 F) and now I have been watching it and the most I have seen is 64 C. I getr this temp and I am only surfing and using Azureus...

well, curious when it shuts down or if it even does that because of heat but I am getting meself another fan on monday...
    Last edited by Panther; 02-04-2007 at 12:56 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I am not an expert in this area, but that seems quite hot to me and I don't think just an extra fan will help.

What temp is the other hard drive ?

Have your tried the Speedfan program ? That gives a good range of temp readings.

I also think you have to configure your motherboard to shut down if it has that feature. Check your BIOS.

(Sounds like Asa is getting hot !) (just a joke !)

Regards

Digby
    Last edited by digmen1; 02-04-2007 at 01:19 AM. Reason: typo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Are all those HDDs install in the same general place?

What's different about the placement of the over 60C drive?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Panther's Avatar lost BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    well I cant see which is which but I am pretty sure who the hot one is. So there are four of them, three in the normal place, on the bottom, with a fan infront of them. There is no more space in the "normal" place so the hot one is ontop of the three, in some sort of compartment which can bee used for hdd but is designed for something else. But the hot one dosnt benefit from the fan the other three do so I thought by adding another one back of the computer I would get much better circulation which should benefit the hot one... or what?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Ime your asking for trouble with high HDD temps. I have HDD Thermometer set to warn at 43C & shut down the HDD at 47C.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Sounds like you've got three cooled drives in the 3½" bay, and one uncooled drive in the 5¼" bay.

If that's the case then you've possibly got room for a dedicated HDD cooler on the drive in the 5¼" bay.

Here's an example:
    http://www.cclonline.com/product-inf...ufacturer_id=0
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    So getting a cooler like that that is only for fixing the problem might be better than putting a fan in the back cooling down the whole case and hopefully the drive too? or maby I should get both?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther View Post
    So getting a cooler like that that is only for fixing the problem might be better than putting a fan in the back cooling down the whole case and hopefully the drive too? or maby I should get both?
    Going for both couldn't hurt.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    but I am trying to keep the computer sounds to a minimum and two more fans... I can here the buzz already...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast