Thread: Hit and Run

DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +5
    what is the true definition? is it leeching off a new torrent and not seeding back to 1;1? wha about on an older torrent... i download it...seed to like .65 but no more peers to connect and there are 4 other seeders is it ok to drop that torrent and upload more on a more popular torrent to get my ratio back up? i dunno if im making sense...

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    SoLD's Avatar Custom User Title BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    depends, read the rules/faq/home page for each site.

I got this after seeding back 200%,
    You were the first person to finish. If you leave the torrent before there are 5 other seeds besides yourself then that is considered a Hit and Run. EVEN if you did seed back what you downloaded. You did not help the torrent become faster or stronger. By doing this you are preventing the original uploader from moving on to upload other nice stuff for the rest of the community.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    jackwho's Avatar Smiling Assasin BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by WADDiE View Post
    what is the true definition? is it leeching off a new torrent and not seeding back to 1;1? wha about on an older torrent... i download it...seed to like .65 but no more peers to connect and there are 4 other seeders is it ok to drop that torrent and upload more on a more popular torrent to get my ratio back up? i dunno if im making sense...

some sites are different than others but most are in the general area of seed to around 65$ of total file or seed for around 48hrs.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Panther's Avatar lost BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    if tis an old file dont worry if you cant upload much, its eather to 1:1 or for a surtain amount of time for example 72 hours...

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Panther's Avatar lost BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    double...
    Last edited by Panther; 02-04-2007 at 10:23 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +5
    alot of the rules i read just say "hit and run will not be tolerated you will get warned" doesnt go into detail or give ratios.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Back Again!! BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by jmscrft View Post
    depends, read the rules/faq/home page for each site.

I got this after seeding back 200%,
    You were the first person to finish. If you leave the torrent before there are 5 other seeds besides yourself then that is considered a Hit and Run. EVEN if you did seed back what you downloaded. You did not help the torrent become faster or stronger. By doing this you are preventing the original uploader from moving on to upload other nice stuff for the rest of the community.
    I would never join that site where you got that warning. They are total morons on what a hit and run is.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    NA_Magus's Avatar ヽ(゜▽、゜)ノ
    Yeah I got screwed over on elbitz by dling a large file and noone ever leeched after that. :\

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    'Hit & Run' should mean that you terminate the connection with the swarm the moment, or soon after, you complete 100% download. Basically, you are only interested in taking what is on offer, and not sharing with others. Any upload you may have made during the period of downloading is inconsequential, since your client will naturally try to upload as part of the protocol.

The action of Hit & Runners early on in the life of the torrent usually have one major side effect, which is that the uploader must maintain the torrent longer until a healthy seeder base is evident. This was the original reason for having the WAIT system on TB derived sources. If the uploader has to maintain a torrent longer, then that is bandwidth that is not being used on the next up.

The other issue with Hit & Runners, especially on a smaller swarm, is that the swarm may appears to have X copies of the torrent, which would encourage the uploader and early seeders to leave that swarm, yet a couple of Hit & Runners leave that swarm when they complete will often result in a torrent swarm where there is not one single full copy of the torrent among the remaining peers. I would imagine we have all witnessed a torrent where we cannot complete (98% complete), because a peer that had a unique piece of the torrent decided to leave the swarm (Hit & Run).