Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Day

kAb wrote

why the hell is "under god" still in there anyways?
    Click here for the long answer to that question.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I shall spend Memorial day at work, but since I'll have the whole place to myself, I can spend as much of my time there as I like in contemplation of the sacrifices my countrymen have made on MY behalf.
    Seems to me that was Clocker's point.

Here's a surprise-take "Under God We Trust" out of, and off of, anything you like; I won't object-in fact, I'll support your efforts.

I wonder, though; will the Pledge be re-introduced in schools with the same alacrity it was removed?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    How about if we make the Pledge an individualized reading ... that everyone can read whatever pledge they want. Now THAT would be freedom of speech. How about my pledge:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America,
    And to the republic for which it stands.
    One nation, under seige by radical Islamists,
    With liberty for the ones who can "get away with it,"
    And justice for the ones who can "pay for it."

(hehe, tongue firmly planted in cheek)

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Pardon my irreverence, hehe.

Clocker posted this photo:

Here's a vision from Baghdad's future:

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Poster
    Hi OTD
    Glad to see ya.
    I was wondering when you might make your way here.
    I think the "under god" part is correct.
    I think Bob Dylan said it best"your gonna have to serve somebody"
    This nation is truly blessed.
    We're not betterr than anyone else just blessed.
    God Bless America!

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@24 May 2003 - 20:49
    How about if we make the Pledge an individualized reading ... that everyone can read whatever pledge they want. Now THAT would be freedom of speech. How about my pledge:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America,
    And to the republic for which it stands.
    One nation, under seige by radical Islamists,
    With liberty for the ones who can "get away with it,"
    And justice for the ones who can "pay for it."

(hehe, tongue firmly planted in cheek)
    How about this one

I pledge a grievance to the flag of the United States Of America and to the Republicans whome I can't stand
    one nation under smog indispicable with liberty for just us not all.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    opivy wrote:

How about this one

I pledge a grievance to the flag of the United States Of America and to the Republicans whome I can't stand
    one nation under smog indispicable with liberty for just us not all.
    Sounds good to me, hehe. Personally, I can't stand either the Republicans or the Democrats ... so were I to include political parties in my pledge, it would have to be longer.

FWIW, here's a short-short story/article I had published back in 1994 or 1995 in a local political mag. And, I made the mistake of allowing the editor to post my email address. Hehe, I got more hate mail on this than on any other article I've ever written. But, I dredge it out every election year to raise as many hackles as possible:

The Libertarian Luncheon (or why there'll never be a Libertarian President)
    © 1994/1995 (OlderThanDirt)

Once upon an election year, patrons crowded a Washington, DC restaurant for lunch. Then, a man walked into the restaurant and called for the patrons' attention.

"Fellow citizens," the man said. "I'm the Democratic candidate for President of the United States. And, if you vote for me, I'll pay for your lunches."

Patrons gave the candidate a round of applause. However, unknown to the patrons, the Democrat planned to pay for their lunches by imposing a post-election tax. The tax would not only cover the cost of the lunches but pay the salary of a bureaucrat he'd hire to collect the tax. Then, another man walked into the restaurant and called for the patrons' attention.

"Fellow citizens," the man said. "I'm the Republican candidate for President of the United States. And, if you vote for me, I'll not only pay for your lunches. I'll promise that you'll never EVER have to pay me back!"

Patrons gave the candidate a standing ovation. However, unknown to the patrons, the Republican planned on paying for their lunches by charging them to the VISAs and MasterCards of the patrons' children and grandchildren. Then, another man walked into the restaurant and called for the patrons' attention.

"Fellow citizens," the man said. "I'm the Libertarian candidate for President of the United States. And, if you vote for me, I'll pay for my lunch and you can pay for yours."

Patrons booed and hissed. And, therein lies the reason that no Libertarian will ever become President of the United States. Libertarians consistently tell the American electorate the one truth they refuse to accept ... that there's no such thing as a free lunch.

-30-

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    ShockAndAwe^i^ wrote:

Hi OTD
    Glad to see ya.
    I was wondering when you might make your way here.
    Thanks. Glad to be here. Clocker invited me to check out the lounge to see what I could see.

I think the "under god" part is correct.
    I disagree ... but it has nothing to do with religion at all. Did you read the article I linked to a few posts ago? It's a bit longish but explains my position on the matter. Here's the link again. I'm not a Christian. But, I am a Deist in the Benjamin Franklin sense.

I think Bob Dylan said it best"your gonna have to serve somebody"
    This nation is truly blessed.
    We're not betterr than anyone else just blessed.
    God Bless America!
    I couldn't agree more.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@24 May 2003 - 22:03
    FWIW, here's a short-short story/article I had published back in 1994 or 1995 in a local political mag. And, I made the mistake of allowing the editor to post my email address. Hehe, I got more hate mail on this than on any other article I've ever written. But, I dredge it out every election year to raise as many hackles as possible:

The Libertarian Luncheon (or why there'll never be a Libertarian President)
    © 1994/1995 (OlderThanDirt)

Once upon an election year, patrons crowded a Washington, DC restaurant for lunch. Then, a man walked into the restaurant and called for the patrons' attention.

"Fellow citizens," the man said. "I'm the Democratic candidate for President of the United States. And, if you vote for me, I'll pay for your lunches."

Patrons gave the candidate a round of applause. However, unknown to the patrons, the Democrat planned to pay for their lunches by imposing a post-election tax. The tax would not only cover the cost of the lunches but pay the salary of a bureaucrat he'd hire to collect the tax. Then, another man walked into the restaurant and called for the patrons' attention.

"Fellow citizens," the man said. "I'm the Republican candidate for President of the United States. And, if you vote for me, I'll not only pay for your lunches. I'll promise that you'll never EVER have to pay me back!"

Patrons gave the candidate a standing ovation. However, unknown to the patrons, the Republican planned on paying for their lunches by charging them to the VISAs and MasterCards of the patrons' children and grandchildren. Then, another man walked into the restaurant and called for the patrons' attention.

"Fellow citizens," the man said. "I'm the Libertarian candidate for President of the United States. And, if you vote for me, I'll pay for my lunch and you can pay for yours."

Patrons booed and hissed. And, therein lies the reason that no Libertarian will ever become President of the United States. Libertarians consistently tell the American electorate the one truth they refuse to accept ... that there's no such thing as a free lunch.

-30-
    HAHA I love it awsome article and so very true.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    opivy wrote:

HAHA I love it awsome article and so very true.
    Virtual bows B) . I admit it's a simplistic course in Political Economics 101, but, in my 53 years on this planet, I've found the basics to hold true.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast