Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Release/Password List Found

Quote Originally Posted by jilebi View Post
    Thanks for your input, everybody.

In my case I have already d/l 40GB of this material, and it is absolutely a shame that I will have to delete that much data and have wasted so much bandwidth. !!!

I don't even understand why it was posted encrypted in the first place, with no indication in the headers or nfo that is is encrypyed!!!
    Some groups encrypt and then don't release, or post, the password for x number of days; if you have the HD space (or a stack of RW disks) you may sock the d/l'ed parts away until the thing is released/posted/leaks out. This 'Trapdoor' group posts and then some 30-50 days later releases the pw file; of course, most of the 'better' servers store way beyond that point, so it's a done deal. Your files may be d/l'ed when/if the pw is available, then again, it depends on your server, if it's low-retention, or you pay for the amount in some way (not unlimited), then socking it away is your only choice.

When it gets up around the 40gigs you've already got, Then again, HD costs are so low, size so large, like I said it may be worth it to store it away for awhile until something comes out of the woodwork.

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Thanks. But I am still unclear on *why* any group would release 40GB on Usenet and then release the passwd after 50+days? Is there any point or advantage in doing it this way?

I agree that HD space is becoming cheap, but I would still prefer to use that 40GB for something else in the meantime

Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jilebi View Post
    Thanks for your input, everybody.

In my case I have already d/l 40GB of this material, and it is absolutely a shame that I will have to delete that much data and have wasted so much bandwidth. !!!

I don't even understand why it was posted encrypted in the first place, with no indication in the headers or nfo that is is encrypyed!!!
    Some groups encrypt and then don't release, or post, the password for x number of days; if you have the HD space (or a stack of RW disks) you may sock the d/l'ed parts away until the thing is released/posted/leaks out. This 'Trapdoor' group posts and then some 30-50 days later releases the pw file; of course, most of the 'better' servers store way beyond that point, so it's a done deal. Your files may be d/l'ed when/if the pw is available, then again, it depends on your server, if it's low-retention, or you pay for the amount in some way (not unlimited), then socking it away is your only choice.

When it gets up around the 40gigs you've already got, Then again, HD costs are so low, size so large, like I said it may be worth it to store it away for awhile until something comes out of the woodwork.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    Slightly OT but why are most HD-DVD releases passworded?

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by St0ry View Post
    Slightly OT but why are most HD-DVD releases passworded?
    Really unknown; the only clue I have is the size of them is pretty 'unpresidented' and they are 'testing the server waters' so to speak, seeing if they get through and are properly retained. That's about my only guess, other than the usual i.e. still a bit under the radar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12