Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: You Prefer Paper Books Or Ebooks?

Poster
    I prefer pbooks, it's really difficult to read books in the computer and feel uncomfortable

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Poster
    I like books on paper.

However I am quite comfortable reading books on my Palm PDA. I have posted about this elsewhere.

In fact now I think of it I probably prefer it now that I am used to it. No page turning, just press a button. No bulky book to carry.

I have about 10 on my Palm just now and carry them all about in my inside pocket.

It means I can be reading different things, depending on my mood.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    I definitely prefer pbooks. I dont even read manuals or pdf files on the pc...I just print them out. And back to the books, I dont know...just the feel of a good book in your hand...even the smell. You just dont get that with ebooks. And the resolution on most books, is perfectly optimized for human vision ...although...I must say Jpaul's thing about books on the PDA...Im gonna have to look into that...

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    You're right about the smell, that's the only thing that is missing.

I have books over 100 years old and the smell is part of the experience.

It's like eating a good meal, you smell it before and while you are eating. The experience is not the same without it.

Its a whole sensual thing.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    You're right about the smell, that's the only thing that is missing.

I have books over 100 years old and the smell is part of the experience.

It's like eating a good meal, you smell it before and while you are eating. The experience is not the same without it.

Its a whole sensual thing.
    Amen to that. I think most people take for granted there sense of smell, the reading experience isnt the same without that soothing muskey smell. Ebooks are too impersonal...but pbooks I dont know...they are like old friends.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    Books are better because they have more character, plus you can take them almost anywhere with you.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    I'm afraid I consider a comparison of ebooks to pbooks, to be like comparing apples to oranges.

They both please me for different reasons.

I like holding a pbook in my lap as I sit under the soft glow of an incandecent lamp late at night.
    Its really the only way to fully appreciate a true classic.

However, I also enjoy informational books and I find ebooks to be the best medium there.

The Bible, The US Army Survival guide, pretty much any reference book. These are books who's usefulness is enhanced so much by an ebook format that the only real need for a hard copy would be in the event of system failure.

Also, I noticed one guy on here who has 10 books on a palm pilot.

Such convienience. To carry ten books to work with you having less weight than a single paperback.
    Read on your breaks. Or on a trip cross country.
    Solar power pack for the palm.

The complete works of Shakespeare at daybreak or evening light.

Without having to lug an extra 10 pounds of book.

Sorry...I don't see how you can compare the two. They are both good for different reasons.

Peace

8. Lounge   -   #8
    I much prefer paper books, but there are obviously some advantages to e-books such as storage for reading on a Palm, or sharing of files....

9. Lounge   -   #9
    merlin-1's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Curley@23 May 2003 - 19:26
    Books are better because they have more character, plus you can take them almost anywhere with you.
    I'll agree with that.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    ya ilove my palm for ebooks its just as good as a P-book to me better in fact as its a lot easry er to press a button then turn a page in fact my reader will slowly scrol thu the pages if u want but i dont do that just a thum on the buton is best i think

the only exception to this is lether bond books i love the feel and smell of them but i only have a few of these and i dont likr to use them as there to valuble to me to risk something happning too them like me falling asleep on them

the rest of my p-books are paper back and i pefer my palm to them un fortunaly i dont have them all in ebook format so i still got to drag the 6000 book colection around when i move about every 2 years or so as thats part of my job but as soon as i get them all on ebook format there donated to the local libary

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast