Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Don't Some Share

Why are we listening to those leeches???
    We are not listening to them but i think only Paul is listening to them! How sadly may it sound...
    First thing is we need to do is remove the '[ ] Diasable sharing of files with other users' option
    Everybody must be forced to share, if somebody doesn't like it then don't use K-Lite! Isn't that obvious?
    You have problems with ISP download/upload limits? Then again stop using K-Lite - you will never ever have any problems with Gb's limits!

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    Poster
    Mainly, it's the FAST leeches that matter -- they're the ones that drain the network the MOST.

I may have 7 upload slots allowed at once and a total speed of 28KB/sec -- but oftentimes I spot 1 upload that's going >15KB/sec while all the rest don't have above 3KB/sec each. And 9 times out of 10, that 1 'fast' upload is to a leech who is getting more than half my bandwidth because they're not slowed down by uploading themselves...

Here's my message:

You don't seem to be sharing anything on this file-sharing network.
    I can tell you how to speed your connection up (even outside of Kazaa) while still sharing.
    My email is [email protected]

And in 5-10 mins or less of me sending that message, I disconnect that upload by cancelling it, and clearing the failed/completed uploads list before they reappear -- then reduce the number of uploads by 1 if they rejoin... so it only disconnects them.

I think I&#39;ve gotten 3 harsh/angry replies out of over 300 -- out of maybe 3,000 such messages sent. I&#39;ve probably converted 100 leeches into people who share... at least part of the time. But that&#39;s still better than nothing. MANY of those who I&#39;ve messaged THOUGHT they were sharing -- they usually fix that in <5 mins.

I also message people who have very slow download speeds from me and tell them what I think is wrong with their connection. It&#39;s pretty obvious if they&#39;re sharing >1,000 popular files... they don&#39;t have an upload bandwidth limit and often not a upload slot max as well. Since I can easily find out people&#39;s REAL ips, I can also determine most people&#39;s ISPs as well -- and already know a few which are nasty for Kazaa (Shawcable and Road Runner in areas of no competition for instance.)

3. File Sharing   -   #33
    Poster
    That&#39;s good news, Switeck. Now I know that I am not the only now on this crusade to try to convert leeches. I have been doing similar actions to try to get them to understand how thet can share without it affecting them at all.

4. File Sharing   -   #34
    Yey, my internet connection doesn&#39;t crash when i allow uploads now

wOOt, now i&#39;m not a leach

5. File Sharing   -   #35
    so everone, is it right?? or wrong?? to cancel uploads of people who dont appear to be sharing??? is anyone eles just cuting people off???

what ever we diecide to do we ALL have to do it or theres no point in anyone doing anything so whos for cutting them off???

70% of people uploading movies from me arnt sharing and are uploading from me at speeds like 35.00kb/s

its time for action not words before things get any worse&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

6. File Sharing   -   #36
    can someone tell me how you can tell if an uploader is sharing or not&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

7. File Sharing   -   #37
    Look at the list of people uploading from you (leeching in most cases) right click your mouse over one, then select find more from same user and it should bring a list up of what they are sharing, if nothing comes up ask them why they arnt sharing, if not happy with there reason cancel there up load.

if they keep re-connecting go into kazaa opitions, traffic, and lower the number of up loads by one, if your the only source they might do the right thing and start sharing.

8. File Sharing   -   #38
    Poster
    Originally posted by melgl@27 May 2003 - 13:19
    can someone tell me how you can tell if an uploader is sharing or not&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    To tell if someone is sharing,
    1.click on an upload to that person (in the uploads window)
    2.RIGHT click to get the menu to come up
    3.choose find more sources/files by... user
    4.the window should change to the SEARCH window and that user&#39;s shared files should be listed... although you sometimes have to retry this once or twice to be sure it didn&#39;t fail due to a glitch. Chances are, if they&#39;re downloading from you very rapidly they should be able to respond to the list files quickly and are less likely to be hit by that glitch/bug/problem.

If NO files are listed, and their PL is anything other than 1,000 (or more) then they&#39;re most likely not sharing anything.
    If their PL is 1,000 (or more), then they may have KL++ with &#39;privacy patch&#39; enabled or they may not be sharing anything.

ISthisLEGAL.com:
    "so everone, is it right?? or wrong?? to cancel uploads of people who dont appear to be sharing??? is anyone eles just cuting people off???"

Is it right or wrong to not want to play ball by &#39;everyone else&#39;s rules&#39; at least occassionally?
    Sometimes you no doubt shut down Kazaa Lite++ and shut off your computer entirely.
    People can&#39;t download from you then either.

Yes it is right&#33;

If we&#39;re truely INTERESTED in both SHARING files AND sticking it to those that think sharing any form of copyrighted materials should carry automatic felony counts and jail sentences... then we MUST cancel those who aren&#39;t sharing that are sucking up the majority of our upload bandwidth&#33;

If we don&#39;t, we are rewarding leeching behavior beyond what KL++ already does (with its maxed-out PL rating and faster downloads) and we are little more than COWARDS to the media cartels for thinking we have security by obscurity (when our numbers may be dwindling rapidly due to people quitting Kazaa because leeches are crippling download speeds) ...even though we&#39;re not trying to get new users and fairer treatment by our ISPs. (with ISP&#39;s daily/monthly bandwidth limits beyond the connection speeds, Kazaa blocking/throttling, and hostile/accusational letters of &#39;copyright violation&#39; with the only proof being that someone else SAID we were -- and we neither get to know who our accusers are nor what evidence they have against us&#33

"what ever we diecide to do we ALL have to do it or theres no point in anyone doing anything so whos for cutting them off???"

Not true...
    If I cut off 1 fast leecher who&#39;s getting 90+% of my upload bandwidth, that frees up roughly 90 MB/hour for others. Even if I am the only one doing that, I am ensuring that more people who are sharing are rewarded for sharing and more people who are leeching are likewise penalized for leeching.
    Over a 1 day period, my small effect may total 2 GB of files that might otherwise have gone to leeches.

It is ONLY by sending files to people who are sharing that there&#39;s ANY chance for the files we were sharing to be available when WE are offline&#33;

"70% of people uploading movies from me arnt sharing and are uploading from me at speeds like 35.00kb/s"

"its time for action not words before things get any worse&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;"

If you want to go a step further, message them, abort them, then block their ip for a couple hours.

9. File Sharing   -   #39
    I have spent most of today asking people why they arnt sharing and cutting them off on tell they started

how do we find someones IP so we can block them, i dont want to lower my traffic to stop them re-connecting because that could be stopping fellow sharers from uploading from me.

10. File Sharing   -   #40
    Poster
    Originally posted by ISthisLEGAL.com@27 May 2003 - 18:58
    I have spent most of today asking people why they arnt sharing and cutting them off on tell they started&nbsp;

how do we find someones IP so we can block them, i dont want to lower my traffic to stop them re-connecting because that could be stopping fellow sharers from uploading from me.
    I use TCPview and Peer Guardian to do that.

When I do a search for someone&#39;s shared files, it opens a direct ip link to them -- so I just check TCPview to see what new (and duplicate) ip just appeared. Then I check again when I message them, because that ALSO opens a direct ip link to them. Occassionaly, I have to do the file sharing check multiple times to get their ip AND confirm it didn&#39;t fail to detect their shared files the first time...

Then I copy that ip down with their nickname and often their ISP as well (using resolve ip address ability in TCPview).

Lastly, I plug the ip number into Peer Guardian and let it do the rest.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast