Thread: Sygate V5.6 Free- HELP!

JA's Avatar //Me<3You!? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    My firewall is the Sygate v5.6 free one, and theres a problem. The problem is when i use mozilla or IE 7, to access sites such as

hotmail.com, the page simply doesnt load and gives me this mesage

:
    The website is too busy to show the webpage

HTTP 408/HTTP 409

What you can try:

Refresh the page.

Go back to the previous page.

More information

This error (HTTP 408 Request Timeout or HTTP 409 Conflict) means that the server took too long to display the page or there were too many people requesting the same webpage.
    For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.

imageshack.us-wont upload image, just stays same page

many other sites dont work aswell,

So to bypass this issue, i am forced to click "Allow all" instead of "Normal" on the modes of my firewall, ive tried unblocking and stuff to no help.

Now im scared im prone to attacks as my Firewall is always on "allow all", i have never had this problem, and it has recently occured. Need help on how i can fix this issue please ;D
    eee

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Why not disconnect from the net , uninstall the free one then reinstall or try something else ? Comodo or Windows Firewall to see if it still happens ?

I just looked at your links , reinstall Java ?

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
    Last edited by peat moss; 02-15-2007 at 06:46 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    JA's Avatar //Me<3You!? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    ill try java, but i like sygate fwall its prety good n my dad whud kil me
    eee

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +5
    You should seriously think about changing the firewall. Sygate has been discontinued a long time ago after they were bought by Norton. A shame really since it was one of the best around. There's no updates, so its more vulnerable.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Alrite fair enuff, wen i get vista in a few weeks/months ill get a good Fwall
    eee

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by morphine View Post
    You should seriously think about changing the firewall. Sygate has been discontinued a long time ago after they were bought by Norton. A shame really since it was one of the best around. There's no updates, so its more vulnerable.
    That's not true. As part of an overall scheme. Sygate is not more vulnerable to attacks.

If your OS & browsers are updated & setup correctly. And using a proper AV such as KAV or NOD32. Sygate is still one of the best firewalls.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    That's not true. As part of an overall scheme. Sygate is not more vulnerable to attacks.

If your OS & browsers are updated & setup correctly. And using a proper AV such as KAV or NOD32. Sygate is still one of the best firewalls.
    True, sygate is a really good firewall. Ive been using for a long ass time and it works. You just need to configure sygate to allow firefox (and other programs). Find a guide or something.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +5
    I didnt say Sygate wasnt any good or not efficient any more. It's way better than all the bloated crap Norton releases. What i'm saying is that it's more prone to atacks since it's outdated. An updated OS and browser wont keep people from getting in at one point in time. Especially if you use windows. Personally i use both software and hardware firewalls. I'm with the "better safe than sorry" policy. And i dont even keep that much personal information in my pc.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I didnt say Sygate wasnt any good or not efficient any more. It's way better than all the bloated crap Norton releases. What i'm saying is that it's more prone to atacks since it's outdated. An updated OS and browser wont keep people from getting in at one point in time. Especially if you use windows. Personally i use both software and hardware firewalls. I'm with the "better safe than sorry" policy. And i dont even keep that much personal information in my pc.
    "What i'm saying is that it's more prone to atacks since it's outdated."

That statement is still untrue. And it's not outdated. This implies Sygate has lost some of it's value as a firewall.

Further developement has ceased & it's not being supported by Symantec. This is true.

I'll say it's the easiest & safest firewall still.

Other firewalls (couple at most) might offer better protection. But they have their flaws. They'll be almost impossible to setup correctly. Much heavier on resources. And produce system conflicts.

But all in all Sygate is still relevant. And a damn good choice. Many other firewall choices. But none that combine ease of use & security anywhere near Sygate.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Thanks for opinons. i have eveyrthing updated and use AVAST anti virus
    eee