Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: britain worst place for children

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'm not surprised the Euro counties place so high but Canada only 12 ? You'd think with free Medical and the school system we have it would be higher .

Hey always room for improvement I guess .

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    lynx, i broadly agree with your sentiment on the poverty measurement thing, although i think they use a percentage of median income rather than just the mean so in your example none of them would be considered poor, but if there were a few families earning 500K then they would be...

Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    The report places most emphasis on the areas which are most difficult to measure, not even a remotely sensible position on which to base a judgement.
    This, says Unicef, "is as difficult to measure as it is critical to wellbeing".
    To attempt to score countries, the experts have focused on children's own reports of ... the percentages of 11, 13 and 15-year-olds who find their peers "kind and helpful".
    It may be difficult to measure, but the difference between kids in this country and those in others is pretty startling. My general experience is that they're little shits in this country, whereas when i stayed in Switzerland (Zurich) for a while the kids there were freakishly polite & helpful.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Part of the problem with this report is that it is almost entirely statistics based, with little regard for common sense.

For example, if you had a country with 5 families, one earning 10 million (pounds, dollars, euros, it doesn't matter) per year and the other 4 earning only 1 million per year then UNICEF statistics would tell you that 80 percent of the population was living in property. While it would be pretty easy to spot in a country of only 5 families, it isn't quite so obvious when you look at real countries.

In addition, many of the so called "failings" are in areas of the child's own "perceived" wellbeing, but that doesn't tell you whether their wellbeing is felt to be lower because they have higher expectations. I saw some extracts of the way some of the kids were interviewed, and many of the observations the kids came up with had little or no basis on fact.

The report places most emphasis on the areas which are most difficult to measure, not even a remotely sensible position on which to base a judgement.
    All quite true.

What we actually need is an 'international" institution which can parse such studies and reports on the basis of their practical worth.

It's either that or we resort to our own sensibilities, and we can't have that, now, can we?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    It may be difficult to measure, but the difference between kids in this country and those in others is pretty startling. My general experience is that they're little shits in this country, whereas when i stayed in Switzerland (Zurich) for a while the kids there were freakishly polite & helpful.
    But you've got a poor starting point. If they excluded Liverpool we'd probably have been top across the board.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    But you've got a poor starting point. If they excluded Liverpool we'd probably have been top across the board.
    Not sure i understand, are you suggesting i'm a scouser? I don't think i've ever been to liverpool

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Just glancing at the article and not actually reading the report with all aspects broken down it occurs that it's not just a critique of political policy but rather a look at the failings of parents.

"well being" is such an encompassing term. Add the fact that this is limited to "wealthy nations". Child well being tends to be worse in poorer countries, the problems tend to be more basic like starvation and disease, so I think that the overall conclusion is that as wealthy nations the failings are in ourselves.

Poverty comes with it's own problems but not everything can be blamed on it. Obscene wealth can be just as dangerous to the personal well being of children as poverty can. What I will say is that with obscene wealth the dangers are easier to avoid as there is more control over the situation.

In short what I get from this article is that we have advantages over the less well off nations, but we are failing to utilise those advantages and are instead allowing them to create our own problems.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Last edited by Colt Seevers; 02-18-2007 at 06:47 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    lynx's Avatar .
    Not sure i understand, are you suggesting i'm a scouser? I don't think i've ever been to liverpool
    Sorry, must be thinking of someone else.

Edit: Yes I was - Illuminati
    Last edited by lynx; 02-18-2007 at 09:17 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    jonasfjeld's Avatar crockett scientist BT Rep: +2
    seventh place for me

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasfjeld View Post
    seventh place for me
    You are a whole country all on your own?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast