Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Help!

Originally posted by balamm@2 June 2003 - 06:35
    You didn't happen to disable some services in administrative or msconfig did you?
    You mentioned the mobile services error message.
    You can check to make sure it's enabled if you look at the bottom of the list in services in control panel/administrative tools/services .
    I suppose it's possible this protocol is needed for USB adaptors but I haven't come across any problems like this before.
    Is DHCP and RPC enabled? Remote access manager and remote procedure call locater? Try enabling any disabled services one at a time and restart each time to see if it works. Is your usb powering up from BIOS before the OS tries to configure network settings or is it totally dependant on the OS starting first?
    If it doesn't power up till after the mouse does then you may not be getting auto DHCP. I remember reading about this quite a while ago but I don't recall the outcome. You could try Bios to make sure onboard USB is enabled though.
    I dont think i disabled any services but i will check

I believe the mobile properties error is due to the fact that i have a pocket pc
    and a usb connector used for transfering files from comp to pocket pc. Microsoft
    activesync startsup with windows and cant startup now since tcp/ip is messed up

Dhcp is always on.

So what i am thinking is that tcp/ip is used for both my usb adapter and my pocketpc
    usb connector. The fault is not on my adapter but the fact that tcp/ip
    is not located on my computer.
    Where on my comp is the TCP/IP protocol data located? I might have to reinstall the component
    where it is located.

I think my usb adapter powers up with computer b/c it shows LED power indicator
    when i turn on power to comp.

Oh and more about the weird socket error. I found under system errors under management that
    "Iprip" could not create a socket for the IP (the different one than usually assigned)
    assigned to my comp.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Poster
    Most of the tcp/ip files are in windows/system32 but they won't be packaged as a protocol, once installed the files are stored where they're needed, in different parts of the system.

I don't see an option to re install or remove the protocol in add/remove but I'm guessing there must be a command line or batch command that would do it.
    You can use the windows disk to do a repair but once the service packs are in it'll just see everything as being "incorrect version of system files" and try to roll them back, making a complete mess.

This link talks about it and shows the reg keys, but doesn't say how to do it>>
    http://www.hpworld.com/pubcontent/enterpri...09winnt_2k.html

I would guess if you open the network and dial up connections folder in control panel, right click on the adapter you want to repair, go to properties, TCP/IP and click on uninstall/re-install, It should ask for the win2k disk if it can't find the files on the drive. Maybe just delete that connection and choose to create a new one and see what the wizzard comes up with. You might have to manually configure the USB connection according to the specs from the manufacturer of the adapter if win2k doesn't recognize usb as a lan connection.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234