Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let him be his own man

Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Please help educate me ..
    Good god man, what am I, a miracle worker?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post
    Please help educate me ..
    Good god man, what am I, a miracle worker?
    Naw, boab already did it...with a short post and a link at that.

It sounds like the Queen's powers were shrouded in mystery until '03.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Being third in line to the throne is kinda like being senate majority leader except you dont have to do a job, create and process legistlation and or report to the people that you represent. So essentially nothing, right?

I say if he wants to go then LET HIM! He wants to be a soldier, like all of his ancestors, and I don't blame him for that. He would have a lifetime of having to live down the fact that his contemporaries went to war and he did not, special treatment and all that. I salute him for having the guts to go. He did not join the army because he wanted a lawn chair and a drink with anumbrella in it. He's a man and can decide for himself. As BM said, the royal family is more a figure head rather than a governing body in England, but many still feel a very strong dedication to the "throne" of England.

It will be interesting to see if either William of Harry make any sort of attempt to be involved in the goings on of their country. I am not all for Kings and shit, but if I was one, I certainly would not only show up in the latest edition of the Enquirer boning one of the Olsen twins. Has everyone forgot that Kings used to lead Crusades across Europe? LET HIM GO!

As far as protecting him, that is something of a joke for the police to even think about going over to Iraq. Why not have them go and kill all the fanatics, and the soldiers could just go home? It's the job the soldiers have, and they need to do it. There's no way the police could protect him, as the article points out.

And as far as the royal family goes, that is British tradition, and that's one thing the British are very good at, is tradition. I hope it never changes.

yo

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Ah give me break , thier proud young men but hate to see the Al qaeda brag about killing a member of the Royal family. Keep them at back of the front lines .

After some refection it must be hard if I was a father of a British soldier, not to question why the monarchy can't be at the front .
    Last edited by peat moss; 02-21-2007 at 06:48 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    And as far as the royal family goes, that is British tradition, and that's one thing the British are very good at, is tradition. I hope it never changes.
    Why? It's an outdated tradition.

Historically it was excellent since had to do with governing a nation. Now it seems like stuffy bullshit.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 02-22-2007 at 02:36 AM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

Historically it was excellent since had to do with governing a nation. Now it seems like stuffy bullshit.
    I don't believe they should be forgotten about either. I think somewhere in the middle would be appropriate. How much money is pumped in to supporting that family?

yo

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17

I don't believe they should be forgotten about either. I think somewhere in the middle would be appropriate. How much money is pumped in to supporting that family?
    Of course it wouldn't be forgotton. I actually think that the history is very cool.

It also think it is outdated for a country that has clearly embraced democracy.

If there is a monarchy, it should have power. Those powers stated in boab's link seem more like malarky.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    How much money is pumped in to supporting that family?
    Here's how much the parasites have cost us, (according to Beeb from 2005), so it may have changed.....Come on now, higher or lower?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19

Busyman, you obviously know fuck all about heads of state, one thing the British DON'T want, or need, is a US style head of state, multi-millionaire pea brains.

There is nothing wrong with the Royal Family as head of state, they don't interfere in the running of the country, and that's how it should be. The unwritten rule in the UK is that the head of state doesn't enter politics, and if they do they will be abolished. At the same time they have the power to act against an unpopular government by calling an election.

It also think it is outdated for a country that has clearly embraced democracy.

If there is a monarchy, it should have power. Those powers stated in boab's link seem more like malarky.
    What does the fact that the UK has democracy, the oldest in the world, have to do with the powers of the head of state? The reason the UK system has lasted so long, 300+ years, is because of the way it works, why would you want to change it?

Quote Originally Posted by Colt Seevers View Post
    Here's how much the parasites have cost us, (according to Beeb from 2005), so it may have changed.....Come on now, higher or lower?
    Here we go, the same old bullshit, someone had to post it! Now show us how much the Royal Family PAY the government each year through the Crown Estates. In 2005 the Crown Estates, owned by the Royal Family and run for the government, paid 188,000,000 pounds into the Exchequer, the money they were paid is then taken from that amount. So it makes people who call them parasites look stupid. If the monarchy were abolished the Crown Estates would be handed back and the Queen would be far richer.

Add that to the estimated four BILLION pound a year tourist industry the Royal Family attract, and the billions in trade they generate, and the people calling for their heads begin to look uneducated an ill-informed.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

yo

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast